PDA

View Full Version : Roof fun

Revit for Breakfast
2009-05-04, 05:12 PM
I couldn't find the answer in the manual (2009). How do I extend a roof as shown in this image?

dbaldacchino
2009-05-04, 05:41 PM
I think that's only possible with building 2 roofs as shown in the attached.

Revit for Breakfast
2009-05-04, 06:17 PM
I did it, but its not as sexy as I wanted it. I wish the damn thing could be done as one piece (without a join).

patricks
2009-05-04, 06:39 PM
With that model you have now, draw the steep roof in front as a tiny sliver out in front of the eave of the main roof. Attach that roof to the main roof. Then attach the remaining lower edges to the wall. Now create a dormer opening in the main roof, using the joined roof as the cut boundary. Then attach the top of the front wall to both roofs, and that should get you the result I think you're looking for.

dbaldacchino
2009-05-04, 07:25 PM
Look at the plan view of the image I attached. The major roof has to have the cutout for the smaller "dormer" roof. You're missing that part. You might also have to do a join geometry and/or follow Patrick's steps too.

Henry D
2009-05-04, 08:29 PM
I couldn't find the answer in the manual (2009). How do I extend a roof as shown in this image?

Since this is an extruded roof, this is easy to make as one roof with the Cut Plan Profile in the options bar. Just make the two extruded roofs , and then cut off the portion of each roof you don't want with the Cut Plan Profile option.

dbaldacchino
2009-05-04, 10:51 PM
How is that one roof? You can't do a roof like that "by extrusion" in one piece, right?

Henry D
2009-05-05, 02:23 AM
How is that one roof? You can't do a roof like that "by extrusion" in one piece, right?

David, I think there was confusion because your image didn't show up in your original post...so we didn't see what you were referring to. The one roof I was referring to was the smaller gable which is what I thought he wished to make as one roof. You are right, using roof extrusions this can only be two roofs.

dbaldacchino
2009-05-05, 03:44 AM
Hmm, weird that the attachment didn't show, not sure why. Anyway, I think we're basically going about the problem in a similar way: build the major and minor roofs. In my case I sketched the cuts within the roof sketch itself while you used the edit plan profile to carve out the unwanted pieces.

I also tried selecting the two eave lines and giving them an offset, but that just slides the small roof down and extends the back piece, which doesn't result in what you're after. So I think a 2-piece solution iswhat you're after.

patricks
2009-05-05, 12:49 PM
A 2-piece roof is the only way to get the back edges of the smaller roof to extend back to the wall. And besides, having the roof in 2 pieces makes things more simple and easier to manage IMHO.