PDA

View Full Version : Conch shape

aar
2004-10-28, 08:34 AM
How can I create shapes like the conch presented in the Autodesk site

JamesVan
2004-10-28, 01:21 PM
Contact Matt Jezyk (Username: "tatlin"). He's the MAN!

hand471037
2004-10-28, 03:53 PM
I think it used parametric massing families, new in Revit 7. But that's a guess, haven't had time to try yet. :D

Mr Spot
2004-10-29, 12:27 AM
Its created using ACIS import into a massing sketch then faces were picked to convert to curtain walls.

tatlin
2004-10-29, 04:26 AM
Its created using ACIS import into a massing sketch then faces were picked to convert to curtain walls.
Nope, sorry. The shell was made with many instances of a single revit parametric component (Mass Family). Then Curtain Systems were created from the Mass.

Chad Smith
2004-10-29, 04:34 AM
Nope, sorry. The shell was made with many instances of a single revit parametric component (Mass Family). Then Curtain Systems were created from the Mass.
Any chance of getting that mass family posted here so we may observe and learn from it? It looks fairly tricky.

Richard McCarthy
2004-10-29, 04:37 AM
Tatlin,
Could you give us a tutorial on how to create such freeform shape?

Mr Spot
2004-10-29, 05:45 AM
They were the two ways i thought it would be created. I'm surprised it was created that way seems like a lot of work!!

Kroke
2004-10-29, 06:45 AM
Hey Matt, just curious. If you look closely at the model of the conch compared to that of the 'rendered' version, I noticed that they are not the same. The basic shape is, but the bottom of the shell is not the same between the two. The Revit model image looks like an 'igloo' entrance while the rendered one looks like a real shell. Not to take away from the power of Revit because it is amazing, but what's the scoop on that, I'm just curious.
Refrence images:
http://www3.telus.net/elementsix/concept1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/elementsix/concept2.jpg

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-29, 12:29 PM
Hey Matt, just curious. If you look closely at the model of the conch compared to that of the 'rendered' version, I noticed that they are not the same. The basic shape is, but the bottom of the shell is not the same between the two. The Revit model image looks like an 'igloo' entrance while the rendered one looks like a real shell. Not to take away from the power of Revit because it is amazing, but what's the scoop on that, I'm just curious.
Refrence images:

Kroke, I think the "rendered" part is just a photograph of the shell they used for inspiration ;)

tatlin
2004-10-29, 12:30 PM
Hey Matt, just curious. If you look closely at the model of the conch compared to that of the 'rendered' version, I noticed that they are not the same.

Kroke, you're right, they're not the same. The image on the left is a picture of a shell not a rendering. The forms on the right are 100% revit. This image was used to inspire the building form in revit, but we needed to change the bottom so the building could sit on the ground and there could be a door.

tatlin
2004-10-29, 12:33 PM
Kroke, I think the "rendered" part is just a photograph of the shell they used for inspiration ;)
Once again, Zoog proves he is faster on the draw. He always seems to hit the submit button right before I do!

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-29, 01:18 PM
Once again, Zoog proves he is faster on the draw. He always seems to hit the submit button right before I do!
lol :beer:

gregcashen
2004-10-29, 02:36 PM
So...what about that family? It seems like giving us some of the more advanced families that have been created would help appease those who say Revit can't do free-form or complex shapes...

Pretty please...

Kroke
2004-10-29, 04:41 PM
Like I say, it's still amazing! The reason it caught my eye is because when I was looking at the shell I was thinking "How ever did they texture this thing like that?" That would be a tough render to get the material to display correctly in any software I would think. Still, it's very cool.

Chad Smith
2004-10-31, 11:43 PM
Matt, can you please post that mass family.

crullier
2004-11-01, 02:11 AM
pleaseeeee....?

Wes Macaulay
2004-11-01, 05:45 AM
The Autodesk folks are keeping the massing family for educational purposes. Matt sent me a screenshot of the family -- the image was called fake helix.gif :wink: -- so most of us could figure out a way to make the FRONT of the conch look pretty convincing even though making the back mesh with the forms above and below would be more challenging.

Chad Smith
2004-11-01, 05:51 AM
The Autodesk folks are keeping the massing family for educational purposes.
Sounds more like teasing purposes. :(

tatlin
2004-11-01, 12:26 PM
Sounds more like teasing purposes. :(
No malicious intent, we're just a little busy these days:-| . Let me see what I can do.