PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Family (labels)

ROBinHI
2009-05-04, 09:10 PM
I've created a new titleblock family and all lines and fixed text are complete but I need to finish get my labels and parameters working. I'm using a few of the parameters already included with Revit, anything that it doesn't have I need to create custom parameters.

The parameters included in Revit seem to work fine and I can edit them immediately on importing the titleblock into a project. The custom (shared) parameters I've created do not which from tutorials I've been reading you need to setup project parameters in the project file itself.

To get them to work I need to go to, Project Parameters > Add > Shared parameter > ...
and add each parameter that I'm going to use from the shared parameter file I've created?

Does this process of steps need to be done for every project? It seems time consuming and I wanted to know if I am doing this the most efficient way? or if there a faster method? Just need to know so I can stop worrying about it, get it overwith and move on to the next tasks.

TIA

CADMama
2009-05-04, 09:17 PM
You can add to your shared parameters file by adding project parameters.
Try following the numbers in this jpg file to see if it works for you.

CADMama
2009-05-04, 09:19 PM
Also put these in your project template so they are always available. Don't forget you can use the Transfer Project Standards to get these from one project into another.

ROBinHI
2009-05-04, 09:35 PM
Donnia,

Thanks for the response.

I understand the procedure but my questions was more towards if this has to be done for every project? If I had 50 custom shared parameters that I needed to use in a project I'd have to click and add each one invidually, 50 times? I was curious if there was a quicker method. If not, then fine.. I can accept that.

Also, do you know if the shared parameters file is somehow linked to the project files I use them in? Say the shared parameter file is removed, renamed or modified.. or say I take a laptop/project off the network where the shared parameter file was located and now no longer have access, would my shared parameters still work?

Thanks again!

Scott Womack
2009-05-05, 10:06 AM
I understand the procedure but my questions was more towards if this has to be done for every project? If I had 50 custom shared parameters that I needed to use in a project I'd have to click and add each one invidually, 50 times? I was curious if there was a quicker method. If not, then fine.. I can accept that.

As Donna said, ad them to your project template and then they'd be there for all future projects.

Also, do you know if the shared parameters file is somehow linked to the project files I use them in? Say the shared parameter file is removed, renamed or modified.. or say I take a laptop/project off the network where the shared parameter file was located and now no longer have access, would my shared parameters still work?

Yes, but you would not be able to add any more if the laptop did not have access to the shared parameters file. Once the parameter is added to a Revit Project it is there until you remove it manually.

ROBinHI
2009-05-05, 10:17 AM
Donnia\Scott, Thank you for clarifying.

cjcarch
2009-05-07, 04:06 AM
Donnia,

A million thanks for your graphics on how to set up a shared parameter for the project settings tool.
As a new user, I just couldn't get it to work correctly but once I saw your graphic 1-5 directions, it helped immensely.
Keep those excellent Revit tips coming.
Carl

SCShell
2009-05-07, 01:19 PM
Hey there,
Just curious here.....
What type of shared parameters where you adding.
I have things like my seal and "Preliminary, Not for Construction" stamp and a few other things set up as yes/no visibility parameters. I also added a "Discipline" parameter so that I could set my sheet numbers in the order I wanted and not have Revit automatically do it in alphabetical order.
Just wondered what type of parameters you added.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
(D-Good help with the graphic 12345 post~)

soender
2009-09-22, 12:03 PM
Steven,

I can't get this working, "yes/no as a shared titleblock parameter", no matter how I try. The problem is not to make the parameter in itself (as a shared via the project), but getting access to the parameter in the titleblock. Shared Parameters is simple greyed out.
Am I missing something here? I have already added Shared P. for labels - simply missing them for graphic control.
And by having them as a Shared, I can control stamps/graphic keys via a schedule, not per titleblock instance. I know that Titleblock and Sheet are to different categories - could this be a part of my problem?

CADMama
2009-09-22, 03:54 PM
Looks like I missed a chance to follow up from before as well here.

OK - so my sheets need to be in an order other than alphabetically so I created a "Group" shared parameter.
See that pdf here.

Then I set the sheet browser to sort Folders by group then sheet numbers. Once the sheet numbers have been used then each sheet can be placed in the correct folder by just using the pull down for "Group" under Other parameters.
See the folder structure pdf for this.

I still use a yes/no parameter in the titleblock family for stamp, NFC, Preliminary or what ever the requested stamp is. All you have to do is to open the title block from within the project, change the stamp parameter, load back into the project - just DON'T save the titleblock and you have not changed it anywhere except within this project.

Any other questions?