PDA

View Full Version : Refrenced surfaces

mlepelletier.182210
2009-05-05, 01:59 PM
Civil 3D 2008

Where can I erase two surfaces that an alignment refrences?
Or where can I erase two surfaces an alignment samples?

I have two modified TIN's from a surveyor named the same thing as the old TINs that I need to replace and I cannot get the old TINs out of my file.

I try to go to prospector and right click on the surface and the "erase" option is gone.

It still has the little yellow triangle that shows the surface is still in use even though I erased the definition from it.

So I am thinking it still shows it in use because my alignment refrences it.

Harold Pei Jr
2009-05-05, 07:00 PM
Did you erase the profile, or the profile view? You can get rid of the view, but you'll still have a profile referencing your surface and alignment.

mlepelletier.182210
2009-05-05, 07:43 PM
I have not erased anything yet just trying to remove and replace the two updated TIN's without erasing the profile or profile view.

gandocadguy
2009-05-05, 08:24 PM
Two ways to go here.

1. Are the tins references? If so no need to erase. They should update.

2. If not references go to prospector -> alignments -> profiles delete those then you can delete your surfaces.

mlepelletier.182210
2009-05-05, 09:01 PM
Number 2 worked, I got rid of the surfaces, I had some cross sections looking at the surface also.

Now the next step how do I add surfaces to a predefined alignment?

gandocadguy
2009-05-06, 12:18 PM
Now the next step how do I add surfaces to a predefined alignment?

Go to Profiles -> create from surface select your alignment and add the new surface to it. You can then turn it on in your existing profile view through profile view properties or create a new view.

jpaulsen
2009-05-06, 02:05 PM
Next time have your surveyors update the original surface instead of creating a new one. Then everything would have updated automatically, which is one of the advantages of using C3D.

gandocadguy
2009-05-06, 02:06 PM
Next time have your surveyors update the original surface instead of creating a new one. Then everything would have updated automatically, which is one of the advantages of using C3D.

Agreed. Which is why i asked if they were references.

mlepelletier.182210
2009-05-07, 02:59 PM
The surveyor just sent me his TIN file nothing else.

How do I refrence a TIN I thought I can only import them and then it is a static object.

I'm used to doing the surface cleanup by just dumping in .TXT point files but the surveyor is saying they should be doing surface cleaning.

gandocadguy
2009-05-07, 03:01 PM
you can put the tin in a file then create a data shortcut to it for your profiles which are in a separate file. Make sure it's looking for Name and Handle. then when you get a new surface you'll only need to modify the file the tin is in and the profiles will update.

jpaulsen
2009-05-07, 03:04 PM
I believe you need to create a surface from the TIN file before you can make a shortcut. To make a surface from a TIN file right-click on the Surfaces collection in Prospector and pick "Create Surface from TIN".