PDA

View Full Version : Changing families

nicholas.209609
2009-05-05, 07:16 PM
I am interested to know how I can go about changing an object that is designated as one family (for example "Furniture") to another (Mechanical Equipment). We are already using worksets so it's not a matter of just leaving the family type alone and changing the workset since we have filters established that help to ensure that each view displays only the necessary information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

davidcobi
2009-05-05, 07:28 PM
While in the family file... Go to Settings... Family Category and Parameters.

Scott Womack
2009-05-05, 07:33 PM
I am interested to know how I can go about changing an object that is designated as one family (for example "Furniture") to another (Mechanical Equipment).

You need to open the family in the family editor, then go to the menu Settings/Family Category and Parameters, and select the catagory you want the family to become. You need to go to Settings/ Object styles, and see how the family is created prior to changing it. If there a several subobject categories, these will be "lost" when you change it over to a new catagory. You may need to recreate these under the new type of family, and reset items to them.

nicholas.209609
2009-05-05, 07:37 PM
Wow - I can't believe it was that easy - don't know how I didn't know that. Thank you both very much.

tcrawford1978
2012-06-27, 04:15 PM
Is this true in 2013 revit as well? I am unable to find the Family Categor and Parameters. The only thing i have under Manage/Settings, is Materials, object styles ( no subobject categories), snaps project units, shared parameters( i have none created) transfer project standards, and purge unused. None of these get me to where you select which family type you want it to be.

DaveP
2012-06-27, 04:19 PM
That's the one you're looking for.

tcrawford1978
2012-06-27, 07:35 PM
ok. that helps. I found that in the family editor however. i used the curtain panel template to create the family so it will not let me change to a wall type family. do i have to recreate it as a generic model and then change family parameters to regular wall?