PDA

View Full Version : Rooms and Phasing

annl
2009-05-05, 10:18 PM
A Room and its Room Tag belong to a Phase in Revit think. I have searched this forum and other blogs for best practice when showing Existing and Demo (or New) rooms on the same sheet. What seems to be the consensus is to create a Duplicate View of the Existing phase with Rooms and Tags shown only. Then Overlay the View with Existing Rooms only on the Demo Sheet. Makes sense...

The group I support find this approach confusing and have adopted and advocated for Duplicating the Room (and therefore tag) for each Phase they want the Room to display in. The thinking is that until I demonstrate why it is not a good idea, the easy road is preferred.

Can anyone give me a sound Revit reason not to adopt the practice of duplicating Rooms for Phases? Although not a purest Revit approach, does duplicating Rooms have a pitfall out there?

Thanks for your thoughts.

aggockel50321
2009-05-06, 12:16 PM
Phasing can get confusing, but here's how I interpret it.

Rooms do not have the same properties as say walls or other modeling elements. You cannot "demolish" a room. If you right-click and go to element properties for a room, you'll see that it can only exist in one phase of the project.

So if a particular room has to exist in more than one phase, the easiest way (if you want room data like room #, name, etc to carry forward) to accomplish that is to copy/paste the rooms forward to the new phase of the view.

If you are going to change room #'s, names, etc of the existing rooms in the new phase, you could then just place new rooms in the existing room spaces, and enter the new info, or you could just edit the copy pasted rooms' data. You'll then notice if you revert to the prior phase, the old room #'s etc will still remain, and that when you create or duplicate a room schedule, you have to be sure it's set to the phase you want to see.

Hope this helps....

annl
2009-05-06, 05:21 PM
Sounds practical. My group finds it much easier to copy Rooms through phases, so with this advice I think I'll let the practice stand. Appreciate the post.

Ann

btrusty
2009-05-06, 05:37 PM
thats what i had to do for a different phase for rooms... copy