PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - What happened to Change Type?

patricks
2009-05-06, 06:35 PM
I must be going crazy. A minute ago I launched 2010, opened a recent project, and somehow I think I accidentally double-clicked on something, somewhere, and a Change Type drop-down appeared in the options bar right below the ribbon and QAT. So whatever I had selected, I could change the family type there, or I could also change it in the actual contextual tab of the ribbon that comes up when something is selected.

Now, a few minutes later, I had closed 2010, and re-launched it again, and now I can't find a change type drop-down anywhere. It's not in the options bar, and it doesn't show up in the contextual ribbon tab, either.

patricks
2009-05-06, 06:41 PM
Okay this is really crazy.

When I first launch 2010, I get a tiny little window in the middle of the screen, on top of my drawing window, with an X (close) button at the top. I just closed that (had to click a couple of times on it), and now suddenly I can see the Change Type drop-down in both the ribbon and the options bar once again.

I will try to get some screen shots to illustrate. Unfortunately for some reason Ctrl+Print Screen isn't working, so I may just have to use my camera.

patricks
2009-05-06, 07:25 PM
Okay here's what I saw awhile ago when launching Revit 2010. Note this was just after installing nVIDIA's latest Quadro FX driver version 182.65, just released on Monday of this week. Note the tiny window, and the subsequent dual family type drop-down boxes.

patricks
2009-05-06, 07:27 PM
Shortly after, I rolled back to the Autodesk partner-certified 162.65 driver version. After that I launched 2010, saw no tiny box, and the screen appeared as below in the attached image.

However I then closed out of 2010, then launched it again, and the tiny window and dual Type selector boxes were back once again, even on the older driver.

*edit* I don't know what happened earlier when I had no Type selector drop-down boxes. I can't seem to replicate that behavior.

aaronrumple
2009-05-06, 08:46 PM
That's trippy....
I like the additional "compact" type selector - less scrolling.

Shows how much garbage is left over in the UI programing...

robert.fink
2009-05-06, 09:55 PM
I can replicate the behavior. Every time I open RAC 2010 I get the mini dialog box (left image). Change type is available to me so long as I leave the dialog box in my drawing space. Once I close it, I no longer have change type in my ribbon (right image).

robert.fink
2009-05-06, 10:25 PM
I guess this was discussed in the Revit Clinic blog. The solution is to disable the graphics card management software. This is dissappointing because I use the graphics card applet to control the display of my windows.

Chad Smith
2009-05-06, 11:01 PM
Patricks, looks like you got the advanced UI (Classic) showing through.
Although, you're not the only one who has witnessed this behaviour, and it is suspected that the old UI is still tucked away in there somewhere, it's just not accessible. Kind of like a backup plan.

If I was you I wouldn't have even shut down Revit, since you had the bonus of a persistent Type Selector.

tomnewsom
2009-05-07, 09:33 AM
I get the weird little floating window too. I'm using the nvidia desktop manager to manage my windows, and I guess the proprietary UI messes with it. I'm not going to ditch nView, so I'll just have to live with it I suppose.

patricks
2009-05-07, 12:25 PM
Patricks, looks like you got the advanced UI (Classic) showing through.
Although, you're not the only one who has witnessed this behaviour, and it is suspected that the old UI is still tucked away in there somewhere, it's just not accessible. Kind of like a backup plan.

If I was you I wouldn't have even shut down Revit, since you had the bonus of a persistent Type Selector.

What's weird is that the extra type selector was appearing for me AFTER closing that little window, as opposed to someone above who said type selectors went away completely after closing the little window (happened to me once yesterday but then I couldn't replicate it).

*edit* I also use nVIEW to manage windows on my dual displays, and I will NOT get rid of that, no matter what. Without it, things like browser windows and PDF's open on my left screen on top of Revit, and it's VERY annoying!

brian104662
2009-05-12, 02:42 AM
For those having the missing type selector problem I updated my video drivers to the drivers released this month and it fixed the problem. Running GeForce 7800 GT

tomnewsom
2009-05-15, 09:54 AM
Also, you don't have to Close that mini-window - if you right click on the tiny sliver of title bar to the left of the close button, you can get a Move command which will let you drag it out of the way.