PDA

View Full Version : Roof Eaves - 2010

kevin.141186
2009-05-06, 11:34 PM
I am curious what the best way to make this roof would be. I have done this roof as an extrusion with the long eave, but then I cannot get the gable ends to work. I have tried to make a mass and then use 'Roof by Face' and I cannot get that to work either.
The side eaves are 2'-0" and the gables are 1'-6". This roof will be 2 x 10's and we will taper cut the end of the 2 x 10's for the eaves.

Thank you for any help.

iankids
2009-05-07, 03:31 AM
Hi Kevin,

I would do the main part of the roof as a simple roof by footprint and then create a roof sweep with the same materials as the roof for the eaves. Attach the sweep to the edge I want & join Geometry.

Cheers,

Ian

patricks
2009-05-07, 12:41 PM
It will not be that simple with a fascia sweep, if you want the upper eave to have a vertical face. You would have to do 2 separate profiles, one for the upper eave and one for the gable ends in order to get vertical edge faces all around, but even then they would not join/miter correctly at the corners.

I would either create the roof as an in-place blend (not a mass, an actual in-place roof object), or do a simple roof by footprint with the required overhangs, and the cut away the undersides of the soffits with in-place void extrusions.

*edit* if the upper eave edge can be perpendicular to the roof slope, instead of vertical, then a fascia sweep would work just fine.

kevin.141186
2009-05-07, 03:16 PM
It will not be that simple with a fascia sweep, if you want the upper eave to have a vertical face. You would have to do 2 separate profiles, one for the upper eave and one for the gable ends in order to get vertical edge faces all around, but even then they would not join/miter correctly at the corners.

I would either create the roof as an in-place blend (not a mass, an actual in-place roof object), or do a simple roof by footprint with the required overhangs, and the cut away the undersides of the soffits with in-place void extrusions.

*edit* if the upper eave edge can be perpendicular to the roof slope, instead of vertical, then a fascia sweep would work just fine.

Thanks Patricks. That worked perfectly. I created a roof using 'Component - Model In-Place' under the 'Roof' family category. I made the upper part of my roof with an extrusion that was 5 1/2" thick and I did the lower portion of the roof as a blend.

Thanks again!