PDA

View Full Version : Parametric Profiles

mmiles
2009-05-07, 06:47 PM
FIRST OF ALL: I apologize if this has been discussed already...I am just being hasty.

I would like to create window family that has parameters to control the width of my sash. The need for parametric control came after I made one window using a sweep and loaded profile family.

I see that I can make types of profiles in a single profile family. What I would like to do is make use of the different types in my sweep. is it possible to have a parameter control which profile to apply to a sweep so that I can toggle between two or three sizes, in lieu of editing the sweep each time. Yes, I suppose I could "sketch" the sweep, but it would be nice to have a profile that can be used across libraries and projects.

Will I make the family too memory intensive by using multiple sweeps and visibility parameters to turn them off/on? Would it make more sense to have multiple families (i.e. for with 2" sash, 3", etc.)?

(I notice the OOTB window families only use extrusions...is this best practice?It seems simpler to pull off the )

thanks.

jeffh
2009-05-07, 07:52 PM
You can use the Family Type parameter for this. The profile family is nested in and then hooked up to the Family Type parameter in the hosting family. i think this will do what you are looking to do unless I have misunderstood the question.

mmiles
2009-05-07, 08:10 PM
Yes, Jeff, that is what I am saying. I am still trying to understand how the "family type" parameter works, though. I cannot seem to locate any info on that type of parameter - can you offer any?

workflow used:

generic model (categorized as window) created that contains frame and sash(sweep), glass, nested array for muntins.
window template used to create window family; load generic window into and link paramters to control size.
Now, modified generic window family to use different profile for frame and sash; rename as second file; load into host window family.
created 'family type" parameter: selected window category
selected the 1st generic window which was already in place and flexed; selected the paramter as the Label (not sure why, exactly).
In browser I linked parameters of 2nd generic window to host family parameters
Tried to flex the family type parameter, but I get constraint errors; generic window family changes, but the location is what gets messed up> cannot seem to keep windows in correct place.
???STUCK????Any suggestions on process, or tips on how to utilize the family type paramter in a better way? thanks.

t1.shep
2010-08-23, 04:05 PM
An old post, but I'm trying to do something similar...
I'm making a base trim line-base family. I would like one family that could be changed via a family/type parameter to be cove base, wood base, carpet base, resilient base, etc. Each base would be made by a different profile loaded into the sweep. I would like in the family properties to just have a drop down that listed the different profiles (and the different types of those profiles) to choose from.
So I could make my tile cove base family, a 4" and 6" type, as well as, a wood base type, etc, all in one family.
What I don't see is the option to apply the family/type parameter to the profile that is loaded into the family.
Doable???

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-24, 07:59 AM
Nope. Sadly.

Nest in the sweep as an entirely different family, and use the FT parameter to swap THAT out. Cant do it with profiles. No idea why. :(