PDA

View Full Version : Constraint for wall based Family

mr6jam
2009-05-07, 09:05 PM
How can I change the constraints of the attached Family so that the fixture is touching the wall (Plan view) instead of having a small space between them? It is sort of floating as it is now. I tried to fix it, but it would be all over the place if the scale is changed, it should stay attached right to the wall even if the scale of the drawing is changed.

Thanks

cporter.207875
2009-05-07, 09:30 PM
If you select the symbol, hit edit family in the options bar, you will see that the symbol is appx 1/64" offset from the insertion point. You may have to go to VG>Annotation tab and turn on reference planes. Move the annotation to sit at the insertion point (intersection of two reference planes) where you need it. Load back into the "test fixture" family, align symbol to ref plane where you want it to be (wall face), lock, and it should work.

mr6jam
2009-05-08, 03:05 PM
ok, I did exactly that, but the only problem now is that when you drop the fixture into a project and change the scale to 1/8" or 1/4" = 1'-0" the stem of the symbol still pretrudes into the wall. I tried to play with the properties of the reference plane that I locked the symbol to - I made it a strong reference, I also told it to define origin, made the IS front... but no luck.

I attached the updated family again.

cporter.207875
2009-05-11, 01:40 PM
mr6jam,
The receptacle you posted does behave the way you describe. However, I opened the family, repeated the steps that I outlined in my original post, and loaded it into a project. Now, it works just fine. I've attached it here.

mr6jam
2009-05-11, 09:23 PM
It worked out for me the second time around, I must have screwed it up somehow the first time I tried it. Thanks!!