PDA

View Full Version : Can't get this profile to sweep correctly

Henry D
2003-08-31, 07:46 PM
This is a real "Labor" Day weekend profile - I've tried everything.
I'm trying to get a stepped pyramid shape with this profile, but it says it can't create the sweep. The closest I have gotten is an inverse stepped pyramid which is in the attachment. I thought this was going to be easy...I would greatly appreciate any tips.

Thanks

beegee
2003-08-31, 09:13 PM
Henry,

Is the attached sweep what you want ?

Henry D
2003-08-31, 09:28 PM
Beegee,

Thanks for your help. What you show is what I have now, an inverse pyramid - a bowl type affair rather than a cone type. I am after a pyramid that steps to a peak. The second attachment is a very small image of what I am after.

I can get the profile to create 3 sides of the pyramid (see first attachment) but as soon as I sketch the 4th side it says it can't create the sweep. The only shape it seems to be able to close is this inverted shape where it's actually sweeping the underside of the profile, When I flip the profile it doesn't help either.

PS What time is it in Australia? I think you never sleep!

beegee
2003-08-31, 09:54 PM
- flipping the profile didn't help either.

That's what I thought I had done, but it didn't flip ! I tried mirroring the whole sweep, but the profile remained in its original orientation.
The profile properties show a check against "profile is flipped". Unchecking that gets the error message " can't create sweep".

I think the problem is that a new profile is required. I'll have another go later.

aggockel50321
2003-08-31, 11:26 PM
I think beegee is correct. I'm not sure what your sweep path is, (didn't download the rfa), but chances are the upper sweep profile(s) can't be generated because they have diminished to a size below what the path can generate.

Try another sweep on top of what you have with a new (smaller) path, and see if that doesn't solve the problem. It may take a few to reach the top...

beegee
2003-09-01, 04:31 AM
Henry,

Andrewg is right. The sweep path means that the top horizontal part of the profile is being swept over itself.
I can't adjust the profile, because I cannot copy it from the import into a family.
You will need to cut off the top horizontal profile portion, do the sweep, then add a top piece as an extrusion.

Henry D
2003-09-01, 05:28 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I finally had to abandon the idea of doing the whole thing in one sweep - it would have been so easy!
I had to sweep each wall and extrude each roof step.