PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ walls and storefront. . .

TerribleTim
2009-05-08, 09:38 PM
OK guys, I'm really new to Revit and trying to find my way. I need a little help so I turn to you. :cool:

I threw this one at my go to guy, but he's a structural guy so his storefront expertise is limited. Now I'll throw it at you. I've got a wall that I need a portion of to be storefront. Easy enough, right? So I can slice the wall where I want and change the one part to storefront easily.

But, here's the catch - The part I need to be storefront is above the part that will stay wall, and the horizontal line where the storefront above the wall starts is on an angle, not horizontal. How do I slice the wall on an angle? And then, how do I place the bottom mullion on an angle? Or should I be going about this different?

Thanks guys.

Alex Page
2009-05-11, 05:27 AM
I assume you are using surtain walls for your storefront - if not, investigate these!

If so, ensure 'automatically embed' is checked for your curtain wall - then draw the curtain wall and edit the profile so the bottom slopes etc - it will automatically cut the main wall

sthedens
2009-05-11, 02:00 PM
Our company has been dealing with the, "when is a curtain wall, not a curtain wall?" issue in Revit. We haven't come up with a final answer, yet. "Storefront" tells me this should be a window family. Then you can use the Legend Component feature to create your frame elevations pretty easily, and it will schedule with any other windows. You can edit the opening cut in the window family to be non-rectangular.

However, curtain wall is a much easier (as in flexible) tool to use in a project (where you don't need family creation/editing knowledge). Curtain walls can be scheduled, but it is an independent schedule from windows. You can't use the Legend Component elevation view, so you have to create your own elevation view and crop it to the proper size and include that view on your Frame Elevation sheet.

TerribleTim
2009-05-11, 05:35 PM
Hmm, interesting stuff guys. What I ended up doing was figuring out how to get the wall in with the angle on the bottom the way I need it and then turning that panel into a curtain wall and then putting in the mullions. After some time, I finally figured it out. So now, I'm hearing that there may be some issues downstream with scheduling that particular window. Fun, fun for sure. Ain't technology great? :razz: