PDA

View Full Version : Linked Revit file not appear in views

Dupont
2009-05-08, 11:03 PM
I have large project brokend down into 4 central files, all linked into one another.
User had to change one item with the shell file, did that, saved to central.
Opened his structural file that already had the shell model linked in but did not see the updated changes, so he reloads latest... but still nothing.
Then user unloads the shell and then reloads it..but still no shell.

We have checked worksets, phases, applied view template again, turned everything on in the VG. Changed scales, display options, section box, etc... don't know why we can't see this shell model.

The only way to get the shell model to show up is to go to each views themsleves and have the revit links display by linked file and select the view, in this case leaving it to by host view should be okay. Why do I need to change it now? There has got to be another solution

So what have I not checked?
If I remove and reload a link file does that automatically reset my revit links visibilty states?

Any help would be appreciated here.

Steve_Stafford
2009-05-09, 12:04 AM
Sounds like a workset was created un-checking the "Make visible by default in all views." When this happens whatever elements are part of the workset will not be visible to whoever links that file in either. To fix it they need to create a new workset that does not use that option...so visible by default instead, they can delete the "offending" workset and Revit will ask which workset those elements should be assigned to instead. Pick the new one...save, save to central and reload your link(s).

Dupont
2009-05-10, 12:47 AM
Any other suggestions? That didn't seem to work..

Brockway
2009-05-26, 08:57 PM
Go to a 3D view and be sure the view is not cropped and there is no section box. Zoom All To Fit. Has the link moved out of alignment?

Also check levels and be sure they still align. Plan views are associated with the model's levels not the link's levels.

You can also completely remove the link and re-link it, or Reload From... to be sure that the link is still pathing correctly. Do you get a error upon opening the file that says something like the link could not be found?

jj mac
2010-06-30, 03:29 PM
Been a while since the last post on this thread/topic but I have a similar problem. We are working with a interior design team and they are basically using our architectural/structural model as a 'background' to develop their own work. It's working great so far, except, one day a few things here and there stopped showing up from their model. So, we opened their model and played around with a lot of the same settings '1220 Homer' mentioned in the beginning of the thread, ie.. visibility graphics etc.

For the elements that were not showing up I ended up switching them to a new work set and then all the sudden, they showed up.

I also tried Steve's trick, but for me it worked. I don't know if this is a fluke, but I actually see this as very valuable tool when working with linked files... Not sure if this was the original intent of this, but, one such example would be for automatically hiding grids through linked files. We have a couple of projects that share one grid file. The grids are copy/monitored into 4 files. I only want to see the grids in one file. The rest can be off - permanently. This is great because it eliminates the need to mess with "By Linked" views or "Custom" view settings of linked files. It also eliminates the need to "Reload from" and unload worksets one by one.

Hopefully I am not too far off base with this... any thoughts defiantly appreciated. Steve, if you are reading this, do you know if there is any official literature on how this works, and if so where can I find it...?