PDA

View Full Version : Curtainwall Doors

jcoe
2009-05-11, 03:07 PM
I am in the process of updating how we use our curtainwall doors and have run into a snag - for some reason the panel family is not centering in the opening and when I adjust the height the panel does not take on the opening size (see image).

Background: This is how I constructed the door panel family.

(short version) - I started a new family Door-Curtain Wall. I loaded my previously created door panel into the blank family and constrained it to the reference planes (all the dimensional parameters of the nested panel are instance). I loaded and assigned any shared parameters required. Loaded into a blank project to test.

I have rebuilt this twice and cannot seem to find the error. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached the family also.

cliff collins
2009-05-11, 04:29 PM
Looks like the curtain grid at the head/top of the door is too low
to "accept" the curtain panel family, as its height is "too tall"

Try adjusting the height of the curtain grid.

cheers...........

jspartz
2009-05-11, 05:43 PM
It's hard to reverse engineer this family. But, so far from a minute of looking at it, you nested all door types into one family. Your overall family is a curtain panel family, but each door that is nested in is a door family. I believe only curtain panel families will stretch/shrink to fit the curtain panel. You also specify the height of the door within each door family, and don't tie it to a parameter that can be edited within the host family, if you wanted to type in the height manually.

I would make each door a curtain panel family, and then nest all those into one host curtain panel family. And don't specify a height or width parameter (let it flex to the opening).

jcoe
2009-05-11, 05:49 PM
Looks like the curtain grid at the head/top of the door is too low
to "accept" the curtain panel family, as its height is "too tall"

Try adjusting the height of the curtain grid.

cheers...........

This is what is throwing me. When I adjust the height to something like 8 feet, the top of the panel stays attached but the bottom does not flex with the grid. In the family, I have both the top and bottom locked to the ref. planes.

jcoe
2009-05-11, 05:51 PM
It's hard to reverse engineer this family. But, so far from a minute of looking at it, you nested all door types into one family. Your overall family is a curtain panel family, but each door that is nested in is a door family. I believe only curtain panel families will stretch/shrink to fit the curtain panel. You also specify the height of the door within each door family, and don't tie it to a parameter that can be edited within the host family, if you wanted to type in the height manually.

I would make each door a curtain panel family, and then nest all those into one host curtain panel family. And don't specify a height or width parameter (let it flex to the opening).

Does this mean I cannot use the door panel families at all? I would hate to have to recreate them.

cliff collins
2009-05-11, 06:38 PM
Another way might be:

Create a custom curtain panel that is actually a Wall.
Then you can insert actual doors families into the "wall" part of the curtain panel?

I don't have Revit open currently, but seem to remember that this works?

any luck?

cheers........

jspartz
2009-05-11, 07:03 PM
Yes that works, but you might have them disappear once in a while (they did when I did that a couple versions back), because the wall is as big as the door that is as big as the opening, and it will all of a sudden find a fault in it.

How were the doors created? Typically a door family has a wall in it, and you cannot delete the wall that it starts out with. Did you start with a generic model family and then switch it to Door? They are definitely door families though, and should have been done as Door - Curtain Panel families, which read as Curtain Panel in the family category dialog. I checked and you can't nest a curtain panel inside another, so you would create all your types within one Door - Curtain Panel family if you really wanted it that way.

The issue is that you cannot make them flex freely being nested. I don't understand why it won't with those families, when I create one with a width and height that are instance parameters and nest it into another it will allow me to stretch, but not with the families you have.

You can tie a parameter to them in the first family which are there already, and then tie that parameter to a second parameter in the host. (e.g. Width = Width, Height = Height) But then you will have to manually type the dimensions of that door in. This will work with what you currently have, but is not ideal.

jspartz
2009-05-11, 07:59 PM
I don't know how you were setting them up, but I redid the host (Left the Width and Height instance parameters in an original door family, put that family into a new Door - Curtain Panel family, and dragged the edges of the door to the edges of the default curtain panel and locked them, put the door on a parameter to switch out the type), and it flexes to the curtain panel size.

timsea81
2009-06-26, 05:17 PM
I am working in Revit MEP and I need to draw in some doors and walls for a quick sketch that does not need to involve the architect. This is probably a stupid question, but when I put the doors in in plan view they don't show as the symbol with the door swinging open, it just looks like a wall. I loaded in a family of doors I know looks right in another model but it still doesn't work, so I figure it must be a project or view setting but I don't know where to look. Any suggestions?

timsea81
2009-06-26, 05:29 PM
it was the cut plane