PDA

View Full Version : 3d autocad to revit

harkeychad
2009-05-12, 06:42 PM
Someone asked me to find out if you can take the 3d model of autocad and put that into revit. I do not think that can happen, but is it possible to put it in some other program, then bring it in. This person wants to use his model but make he has made, but make the materials better. Thanks for the replys.. Any info would be great.

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-12, 07:42 PM
You can, but the Materials will be By Layer, and will have to be controlled through Object Styles...

harkeychad
2009-05-15, 12:52 AM
So here is a piece of a 3d model. I had to make it under 2 meg. Can you tell me how to get this piece into revit. Thanks

Norton_cad
2009-05-15, 03:05 AM
Well two methods of import are available.
1 - Save CAD file as a DXF, and import this into Revit. (This gives wire frame geometry)
2 - Download from Autodesk web site 3DSOUT & install. Run the command in AutoCAD, and open a new CAD drawing and import the 3DS file. This converts the surfaces to a mesh. Save this new file. Import this DWG file into Revit. (This gives a solid geometry).

dpasa
2009-05-15, 12:46 PM
Well two methods of import are available.
1 - Save CAD file as a DXF, and import this into Revit. (This gives wire frame geometry)
2 - Download from Autodesk web site 3DSOUT & install. Run the command in AutoCAD, and open a new CAD drawing and import the 3DS file. This converts the surfaces to a mesh. Save this new file. Import this DWG file into Revit. (This gives a solid geometry).

3dsout???? Is there a link for this? I used it a lot but I think there is no version for Acad 2010...

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-15, 12:56 PM
Im not sure what the difficulty is getting in in to revit, unless its some of the objects in AutoCAD that dont translate properly in to Revit. I know the Walls from ACA dont come in properly right off the bat (or at all?).

But however this restaurant was built, it appears to come in. Then again, im not sure what may be missing, since i didnt build it.

Having said that, i hate rendernig cad models in Revit. Using OS for the materials by layer is annoying... I had to render perspectives of a parking lot with cars done this way, since i dont have any RPC content, LOL...

Norton_cad
2009-05-18, 06:55 AM
3dsout???? Is there a link for this? I used it a lot but I think there is no version for Acad 2010...

Yes...
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9481286&linkID=9240898