PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Section Cut

barry.40197
2009-05-14, 08:32 PM
OK here's the deal, I know this has been discussed before, but I can seam to find the topic again. We have a bunch of existing sheets of details drawn up in Acad. All the details are in the same file per sheet. I can link the sheet into a drafting view & I can cut a section & reference it to the drafting view. But then it's linked to the full sheet & I can't call out the detail number on the section cut. I really don't want to export each of the details to it's own DWG file. That would be a tone of work. So how do I sort this out? Does anyone have a dumb generic section cut family I can edit with the detail number & sheet number? I know it's not ideal, but that's all I can think of to get it working..

Scott Womack
2009-05-15, 10:53 AM
I can link the sheet into a drafting view & I can cut a section & reference it to the drafting view. But then it's linked to the full sheet & I can't call out the detail number on the section cut. I really don't want to export each of the details to it's own DWG file. That would be a tone of work. So how do I sort this out? Does anyone have a dumb generic section cut family I can edit with the detail number & sheet number? I know it's not ideal, but that's all I can think of to get it working..

Rather than creating a "dumb" section marker, (that is a Generic annotation), I suggest you create some "blank" drafting views, that only have one piece of a line(possible a white line in an upper corner), each named to the specific detail on an "AutoCAD" sheet. Then you can place one of these views over top of the corresponding Autocad detail, and use real active detail marks to reference them. That way if for some reason a sheet needs to be renumbered, the marks referencing them will automatically change.

Creating "dumb" marks, although infrequently necessary, leads casual users, and management to continue to thik of Revit as a CAD package, when it is NOT CAD, but BIM.

A few of those AutoCAD details should be converted to Revit Details on each project. Then in a few projects, that sheet, or one of those sheets will no longer have to be linked in. If handled correctly, you'll be able to inport that sheet, complete with Revit Details for all future projects.