PDA

View Full Version : Revit Arch to GBS - the sequel

jstrapko
2009-05-16, 01:09 AM
This quarter my arch studio (tech college) students have successfully exported simplified Revit models of an existing fire station (same one as last quarter) to Green Building Studio. This provided a baseline measure of energy use. They modeled interior partitions only at separations between hvac zones. One group has also run their schematic design for addition/renovation to the fire station. This quarter studio has not expanded our knowledge of GBS beyond insights of the last quarter studio recounted in a previous thread. We have avoided pitfalls of the previous quarter by observing the following rules.
- Follow instructions for prepping the Revit model, defining room volumes properly
- Keep the model simple, running schematic phase
While last quarter students addressed energy conserving design rigorously, this quarter focused on more diverse issues found in LEED rating system. Extensive curtainwall in the one schematic design run in GBS caused energy use to exceeded 30 SUVs, much higher than the last quarter design. I will post further information and link to design docs in my weblog as students complete their models and additional GBS runs.
Jim Strapko
Architect, Teacher

kyle.bernhardt
2009-05-26, 01:41 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the update on the fire station. Glad to see that you guys are adapting your workflow to maximize the benefits of Revit and GBS.

Since you guys are looking beyond Energy this quarter, you might want to look into using Ecotect Analysis 2010. This should be available for free to students as part of our Educational Student Community.

Ecotect Analysis 2010 will help to gain insight into Solar Impacts in a very visual way that's great for teaching.

Cheers,
Kyle B

jstrapko
2009-05-26, 08:10 PM
I have downloaded Ecotect and briefly reviewed the interface. Over Summer break, I should be able to integrate it into my assignments.
Thanks for the advice,
Jim Strapko
Architect, Teacher