PDA

View Full Version : Linking DWG Files

eric.110455
2009-05-16, 04:58 AM
OK, my problem probably has an easy solution but I'm having no luck. I linked a DWG file to a single view only and it worked perfect, my problem is I need to see that DWG on another view (2 views only) how do I make it visible on other views?

sjsl
2009-05-16, 11:42 PM
Just go to the View and Link it in

Joef
2009-05-17, 12:07 AM
OK, my problem probably has an easy solution but I'm having no luck. I linked a DWG file to a single view only and it worked perfect, my problem is I need to see that DWG on another view (2 views only) how do I make it visible on other views?

Copy to clipboard; paste in place is how I do it.

brenehan
2009-05-17, 03:10 AM
Copy to clipboard; paste in place is how I do it.

This does work, but in the event the link is deleted out of the original view, it will also disappear out the second view.

This may be long winded but I set up the following.
If you want to link a dwg file into more than one view, first setup a separate Revit project file. Link the dwg file into a floor plan view. If you need another dwg file, use a different floor plan view.
Link this revit file into your project. In VG you can then go to the view you want the dwg file to display and set the linked revit file to display the specific floor plan view with the dwg file in it.
It works quite well. We use it for Site surveys a lot.
Brian

eric.110455
2009-05-19, 10:24 PM
I knew it was an easy solution.
Thanks for the input

twaldock
2009-05-19, 11:49 PM
This may be long winded but I set up the following.
If you want to link a dwg file into more than one view, first setup a separate Revit project file. Link the dwg file into a floor plan view. If you need another dwg file, use a different floor plan view.
Link this revit file into your project. In VG you can then go to the view you want the dwg file to display and set the linked revit file to display the specific floor plan view with the dwg file in it.
It works quite well. We use it for Site surveys a lot.
Brian

We have also been using this technique recently, but it does have a number of limitations and requires quite a bit of planning and understanding by all users:
- You can't use the query option on the linked dwg (as it is in a linked Revit file)
- You can't move the dwg to foreground/background without going to the Revit link
- You can't have more than one dwg from the Revit link showing in one view (unless set up that way in the Revit link).

Advantages include:
- Prevents "lost"dwgs in the main Revit model
- Prevents huge lists of imported linetypes/patterns in main Revit file
- Prevents long lists of imported objects in VG in main Revit model