PDA

View Full Version : Revisions

STHRevit
2009-05-19, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

Using Revit 2010 and having some issues with the revision function.
I can get the revison description to show in the title block no problem, what i can't seem to get to work is the current revision letter/number that sits at the bottom of the title block.
This just won't update for some reason.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Scott Womack
2009-05-19, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

Using Revit 2010 and having some issues with the revision function.
I can get the revison description to show in the title block no problem, what i can't seem to get to work is the current revision letter/number that sits at the bottom of the title block.
This just won't update for some reason.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Revision number at the bottom of the title block. Only the Revision description, and revision number that appear in a Revision Schedule can be brought into the Drawing List. If there is a Revision number/letter in your Titleblock family, outside of the Revision Schedule, then it would have to be a shared parameter, and then it may be possible to add it to the Drawing List. Not sure about how to ge the info updating correctly though.

I still have not recieve any answer from the factory on why the Revision Number and description are available in the drawing list, but not the revision date, which might be the most important piece of information of all.

STHRevit
2009-05-19, 10:34 AM
Hi Scott,

Sorry, I have attached a snapshot of what we want to achieve.
I have tried the shared parameter route, but could not get it to work.
Basically it should show the latest revision number to the bottom of the title block.

When you include the shared parameter in the project, what category should it be aligned with? We tried sheets, but no luck.

At the moment we have dumb text in the revision location. Rather painfull to update each sheet manually.

Scott Womack
2009-05-19, 11:06 AM
You need to create the Shared Parameter in your Shared Parameters file first. Then you add it to the titleblock family, and make a label set to that parameter (to replace the "dumb text") in your title block. (Do not Name the parameter just "Revision" Name it something like Sht Rev). Once added to your titleblock, but before pushing it into your Project, go to the project, and via Project Parameters, Add the Shared Parameter, as an instance parameter, applied to Drawing Sheets. Now push the updated titleblock into your project. The parameter will be an instance parameter per drawing sheet (I was assuming that is what you wanted) but you can add this to the drawing list, and edit it in the schedule to ease the pain. IF this is to be the same on all sheets, when adding it to the Project, instead of applying it to the Drawing Sheets, apply it to the Project Information catagory, then editing it once under Project Information would edit it on EVERY sheet in your file at one time.

STHRevit
2009-05-19, 11:10 AM
Thanks Scott,

I think we may have got some of the sequencing wrong regarding placing the parameter in the project and title block family.

Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

STHRevit
2009-05-19, 12:18 PM
Ok I have found the problem, when i add the shared parameter to the project, there is no "drawing sheets" category to apply the parameter to?

Not sure why. any ideas?

Ok I have it, I just used the current revision tag that the sheet index uses.
Seems to work now. Didn't before. oh well i was obviouslt doing something wrong.

Scott Womack
2009-05-19, 03:49 PM
Ok I have found the problem, when i add the shared parameter to the project, there is no "drawing sheets" category to apply the parameter to?

Ok I have it, I just used the current revision tag that the sheet index uses.
Seems to work now. Didn't before. oh well i was obviously doing something wrong.

In 2010 it is now just called "Sheets". In Revit 2009, it was called "Drawing Sheets" All this changing of terminology, that is NOT documented makes it difficult to answer questions.

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-19, 04:08 PM
Wow, thats irritating. I hadnt noticed that yet. Ugh...

Scott Womack
2009-05-20, 10:10 AM
Wow, thats irritating. I hadnt noticed that yet. Ugh...

I have to admit, I did not fully realize it, until I went to answer the post above.

Now, if Autodesk would only answer why in 2010 the revision number, and description can be added to the Drawing List, and not the Revision Date.....

Andrew Dobson
2009-05-20, 12:14 PM
Hi Scott,

Sorry, I have attached a snapshot of what we want to achieve.
I have tried the shared parameter route, but could not get it to work.
Basically it should show the latest revision number to the bottom of the title block.

When you include the shared parameter in the project, what category should it be aligned with? We tried sheets, but no luck.

At the moment we have dumb text in the revision location. Rather painfull to update each sheet manually.

There is a "Current Revision" field that will give the current revision number or letter that you can place on the titleblock. This was in 2009 and maybe 2008 as well.

STHRevit
2009-05-20, 01:14 PM
Yeah Scott, I agree.
It is the little things that seem to make life quite annoying, Why change the terminology of Drawing Sheets to simply Sheets? They did the same thing with publish. In 2009 you "Published" dwf's. In 2010 it is classified as "export". Why?

Seems to be change for change sake.

Errolowl
2009-10-12, 07:00 PM
There is a "Current Revision" field that will give the current revision number or letter that you can place on the titleblock. This was in 2009 and maybe 2008 as well.

Really? I do not see this option in my Revit 2009 project among the drawing sheet parameters available to my drawing list. Do I have to update something in my revision schedule in the titleblock? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Scott Womack
2009-10-12, 07:24 PM
Really? I do not see this option in my Revit 2009 project among the drawing sheet parameters available to my drawing list. Do I have to update something in my revision schedule in the titleblock? What am I missing?

What you are missing is that the thread was discussing Revit 2010. This was a feature added with that release.

Errolowl
2009-10-12, 08:31 PM
Thanks Scott. I've seen the discussions about 2010.
Its just that when Andrew mentioned 2009/ 2008 in his post, I had a wild moment of hope for my current project... Oh well!

Andrew Dobson
2009-10-13, 09:32 AM
If you post your titleblock family or send it to me via a private message I will have a look at it if you like.