PDA

View Full Version : Concrete wrapped steel beam family

mthurnauer
2009-05-20, 10:55 AM
I am working on a structure where all of the steel is encased in concrete. I thought that the easiest way to do this would be to open the wide flange beam family and add the concrete as another extrusion with parameters for min coverage. This worked fine until I joined the beams with the floor slab. When I joined them, the steel also joined and disappeared. So I then decided that I would add a detail component to the section of the beam. I put in the wide flange beam section detail. I duplicated the beam family and it's type catalog and added the proper beam detail component to every corresponding beam in the type catalog. So, I loaded this into the project and it works fine. Every beam size loads the proper detail component, but when I join the beams to the floor, the detail component disappears. I find that a surprising result and did not know if there is something wrong.

jdrews.254394
2010-07-15, 06:33 PM
I created something similar but did not have this problem try adjusting how the elements show in coarse medium and fine views.

The question i have is it possible to have the top of the beam be at the top of steel and not default to the top of the concrete. I even kept the reference plane at the top of the steel.

Any ideas? They are calling out top of steel on plan, but it is wrapped with 2 1/2" of concrete so i dont want my top of steel to be my top of concrete. lol