PDA

View Full Version : Can we "count" on Revit ?

Munkholm
2009-05-20, 01:01 PM
Been working on a hotel project with 136 hotel rooms, I´ve made the rooms as groups, and while making changes to the group, I noticed that Revit wrote: "Applying changes to 168 instances..." WTF ?
I´m certain that theres only 136 instances, and decided to play around with it, to figure out why Revit counts it wrong...

Tried deleting my "Shower" family, which is ONLY used in the 136 hotel rooms - Revit tells me that 170 instances will be deleted ?

Made a schedule, to get the count on the "Shower" family - Now suddenly Revit returns the right total (136 instances)

Makes me wonder... can we count on Revit ? Can Revit count ?

sbrown
2009-05-20, 02:00 PM
I think what revit is doing is a copy/paste and replace to the groups and counts ones that aren't placed but in the project browsers. Check your schedule and it will show the right numbers. For example I have to residential towers on a project that are groups, so there are 2 instances of that group in the model. However when I edit the group it updates "3". If I right click select all instances and look at the filter there are only 2 selected. thats what makes me think its doing some copy/paste or something behind the scenes.

Scott Womack
2009-05-20, 02:50 PM
I think what revit is doing is a copy/paste and replace to the groups and counts ones that aren't placed but in the project browsers. Check your schedule and it will show the right numbers. For example I have to residential towers on a project that are groups, so there are 2 instances of that group in the model. However when I edit the group it updates "3". If I right click select all instances and look at the filter there are only 2 selected. thats what makes me think its doing some copy/paste or something behind the scenes.

Scott, I'm just a user like you (with less time on the software) but in your case, it would appear that you are getting a "3" Instances changed because it is changing each of the placed group/towers, plus the group definition being stored within the Project?

nsinha73
2009-05-20, 05:27 PM
Do you have Phasing going on?....such a Demolition or existing or New construction?
I have always mentioned in our office...."Its always the user error"..... :-D

Munkholm
2009-05-22, 08:33 AM
Nope, no phasing in this project.... That could have explained it though....

nsinha73
2009-05-22, 06:40 PM
Why does your schedule show only 23?....how many groups do you have?