PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Hotfixes

sbrown
2004-10-29, 12:54 PM
I've installed revit and it keeps telling me to install the latest hotfixes. We have win XP pro but have not installed SP2 due to concerns posted on this newsgroup. Do the 2 hotfixes revit wants me to install require SP2?

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-29, 01:15 PM
from what I read, it seems like SP2 includes the hot fixes, so you don't need them if you have SP2 installed.

we are worse shape as the win2k hotfix has not been included in a service pack yet and the only way to get it is to pay Microsoft for a service call so they can send us the fix for the bug in their OS :mad:

-Z

sbrown
2004-10-29, 03:53 PM
If I dont' have SP2 is it ok to install the hot fixes?

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-29, 03:57 PM
If I dont' have SP2 is it ok to install the hot fixes?
Yes, I believe that is what the hotfixes were for, if you don't have service pack 2 you should install the hotfixes.

BUT, I am not your IT department, better run it by them first.

-Z

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-10-29, 05:38 PM
Be really careful before installing SP2. It has caused many problems for our IT guy. It totally reconfigures security settings and can be a big headache to get you back to where you were pre installation.

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-30, 08:24 AM
Yeah, but your IT guy huffs and puffs about everything :mrgreen:

DaveP
2004-11-23, 04:00 PM
I've just had a (typically) frustrating experience getting through MicroSoft's phone support to get these HotFixes. First of all, you have beg them for the patches instead of just downloading them. So I have to get support through IBM. Then I try their phone number (NOT an 800 number, of course) and after 20 minutes of questions, they tell me that, since I'm on a network they need to conference in Tech Support before they can create a ticket.

I know what I want, I know I need it, I know how to install it, all I need is the $#@#% (they$#@#%)^ file !!!!!!!

My question - once I get it, can I post it here so others can download it without all the pain I went through? Or will that bring the wrath of Microsoft down on AUGI's head?

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-23, 04:09 PM
My question - once I get it, can I post it here so others can download it without all the pain I went through? Or will that bring the wrath of Microsoft down on AUGI's head?Thanks for wanting to share and save us the hassle. Unless Microsoft tells you it is okay to do so we'd better assume that since it isn't available for public access via download that they won't approve of you doing so.