PDA

View Full Version : Searching for ADVICE from the pro's...

yaggey
2009-05-27, 11:34 PM
Can anyone please advise me on how to proceed?

I am embarking on a new career path at 50 yrs of age. I now want to pursue my passion for drafting & design, (primarily residential & commercial).

I am currently a HUGE fan of Revit, and although I have no formal training, I am pretty comfortable using this software. I have no previous autocad experience, yet everything I have read indicates Revit is the way of the future?

QUESTION: Am I correct in assuming I still need to do a 2 yr. course in Autocad to obtain my certification and diploma, in order to have the formal training required, to begin my new path in life?

I can easily see the beauty of Revit, and would eventually want to excel at using this program for everything I wish to do.

Thanks

Terry

sfaust
2009-05-28, 12:38 AM
I would just offer a couple thoughts for you to chew on when deciding what route to take. BIM is the way of the future, that is in little doubt at this point, and currently Revit is the leading BIM application and in all likelihood wil remain that way, so for the architectural industry Revit is the way of the future in my opinion.

With that in mind, a certification in AutoCAD and any AutoCAD knowledge would be of only minor assistance and may even be a hinderance in some cases if you are solely focusing on Revit and BIM. If you don't understand why, it's basically because BIM is a completely different process than traditional 2D production work & therefore Revit workflow bears little resemblance to AutoCAD.

This being said, AutoCAD is still definitely in the majority worldwide. There are still a lot of firms out there using AutoCAD and more traditional processes. There are also lots of parts of the industry and other industries that use AutoCAD. Civil engineers use Civil3D which is AutoCAD, and other industries use AutoCAD as well. So AutoCAD may give you a broader market to look for employment if you don't care as much about industry.

Lastly, if you do want to go with the solely Revit route, I would look at taking some training classes and getting certification from Autodesk on it. It's nothing like a 2 year class, but it will give you some credibility looking for a job since there is no degree for Revit at this point...

Anyway, just some thoughts, hopefully that helps some...

p.s. I applaud you for stepping out on a limb to do something you have a passion for!

yaggey
2009-05-28, 03:14 AM
Steve,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer me your valuable insight. It seems you hit it dead on.

I am struggling with the concept of spending 2 yrs. in a post secondary institute learning Autocad, when my real interest seems to be in BIM.

I see your point and recognize that employment opportunities may be far less, with only my certification in Revit, but one never knows what the future may offer? Thanks also for the kind words of encouragement!

Terry

Gadget Man
2009-05-28, 08:18 AM
Terry,

While I don't know the reality in your country, at least here - in Australia - you can choose an architectural course (either one year - for Draftsman Certificate, or two years for Design Diploma) solely using Revit. I know, I teach at one...

So, maybe it is worth to look around and see if you can find any institution in your area providing an architectural course using just Revit...

Good'on'ya and good luck!!!

charliep
2009-05-28, 12:06 PM
Terry,

Like our friend down under said it depends on what your country and / or state requires in the form of recognized qualifications. Here in the U.K. you would go for an HNC (i year course) or HND (2 year course) in an Architectural based discipline. The Autocad and probably Revit is a module within the course. If it's any help I started my HND course at the age of 55 after some 40 years in the building industry as a carpenter. Did the course in Aberdeen, Scotland and never looked back. One of the best descisions I made. My Revit experience comes from being self taught and the invaluable help of my AUGI friends. So my advice is go for it.

neil.armour
2009-05-28, 12:37 PM
i agree with all mentioned on here and agree knowledge of AutoCAD may be useful for employment but i for one hate using AutoCAD now if i can help it. Been using Revit now since last november and never looked back. I would say go for it with Revit.... its going to be the way forward over the next few years IMO.
Good luck!!

yaggey
2009-05-28, 07:12 PM
To Jerry, Charlie & Neil,

Once again I thank you all for the great feedback! I happen to be located in Canada, so I'm sure I'll find the ability to get the training I am looking for.
My wife sure likes the idea of myself going to school down under...that would certainly beat the winters here! :)

Terry

cliff collins
2009-05-28, 08:25 PM
DO NOT waste any time learning Autocad.

BIM is the future.

Revit is the flagship BIM application.

Keep on going!

This is coming from 25 yrs experience--hand drawing, 2D cad, 3D "object cad" ( ADT and Microstation ) to Revit.

cheers........

iankids
2009-05-28, 10:08 PM
I agree with Cliff, Jerry and all the others who have commented here.

Jump in to Revit & get your skills up a quickly as you reasonably can.

Hopefully, you have a background in building, and if so, you will understand the important stuff of how buildings are actually constructed. This knowledge along with Revit skill would make you a valued member of any Architectural team.

Hope it goes well for you.

Ian

oliveoil182411
2009-05-29, 01:50 AM
I'll have to agree with Iankids. Learn any BIM or modeling program that you can. Revit appears to be the leading edge in architectural world. Not a user of the headache program, but I have a couple of architect friends who say that is all they use in their offices. However, I hear it has quite a few kinks. This is probably something that you already know. I commend you for being self taught on Revit. I hear that it is tough to learn, even if you take the class or classes(something one of my architect buddies did in order to get a job recently). I think architectural firms love to see that you're certified in Revit They probably think getting somebody more educated in it will help streamline their workflow. A more probable solution is to beg Autodesk for a better software. Despite my opinions on Revit, BIM is the way to go in any industry. I personally work in heavy industrial. The company that I work for has been using digital 3d models to communicate ideas for the past 15+ years. It was cutting edge when they started using it. However, it is now expected in client reviews. In fact, the overall model is often refered to as the "bible" in my company. 2d drawings are still important for us in laying out a plant, but the client will have a much clearer idea of what is going on with the 3d. I'd say if you are going into drafting and design, learn the BIM. One last thing, don't lose your common sense(sounds like you got some). Of all the software that I have worked with, I have never seen a design button. Although, I think some of the software companies are getting close. GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOU DO.

oliveoil182411
2009-05-29, 09:59 AM
I forgot to mention that you should try finding a job in the field. Some places are willing to forgoe degree if you are willing to take a skills assessment.

yaggey
2009-05-29, 01:48 PM
To Cliff, Iankids & Oliveoil,

Once again, thank you all very much for your feedback. It is muchly appreciated!

Terry

Andrew Dobson
2009-05-29, 03:18 PM
The best training for a prospective Revit user is an Architectural qualification, or buiilding industry experience. Understanding how a building goes together is essential, then you can pick up the software more easily. I pretty much taught myself Revit, although I did do formal training later on. Its fun and rewarding to learn and use.

AutoCAD is a bit different, as you dont really need to know much about building if you are just drafting for others. A formal course is helpful, but a few days should be enough to get you going. I would go crazy studying AutoCAD for a year!

I would recommend finding out if there are jobs available for Revit users in your area.

If there are, learning Revit will make make you attractive to the firm. If they dont use Revit, these skills will be of less use (unless they want to begin using Revit).

I would imagine that knowing AutoCAD would offer you a greater range of employment opportunities (albeit less rewarding) as there are fewer firms that use Revit around.

jspartz
2009-05-29, 03:52 PM
If you are good at learning on your own, do it! Do not waste your time and money having someone else teach you. Hands-on and on-the-job experience is the best teacher. If learning on your own is not you, then just take Revit courses if you can find them.

I stay on the forefront of everything by self-teaching myself things and programs that no one really has a handle on, and is not taught publicly yet (Solibri, Synchro, Building Explorer, BIMServer, QTO, Innovaya). Once they start to be taught publicly I've already got years of experience and they want me to be the teacher. So learning on your own instead of waiting for a teacher on the subject is the best way to go. In the architectural/construction job market, staying on the leading edge will pay double those that are behind.

It is almost certain though that you will have to do something in AutoCAD (printing, layer manipulation, cleaning up drawings for importing into Revit for backgrounds). Learn the basics on dealing with pre-made AutoCAD drawings. It will come in handy.

yaggey
2009-05-30, 05:48 AM
Andrew & Jamie,

I thank you both very much for your feedback. You comments offer me additional points of view. It is muchly appreciated!

Terry