PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2009 - Serious Errors Occurring Related to Family Parameters

christian.69744
2009-05-28, 03:27 PM
Over the past couple of weeks, we have begun to see "Serious Errors" suddenly occur in multiple projects that are being worked on by a number of different users / teams.

The underlying connection between most (but not all) of these errors has been that they begin to occur when a user attempts to edit a parameter of some families (the family types vary from casework to detail components). In some instances, pulling on the shape handles does nothing. Then when editing the element properties of the family to change the same instance parameter manually (for instance...from 5'-0" to 6'-0"), the parameter immediately reverts back to whatever the original value was (5'-0" in this example). At this point, a "Serious Error" warning often pops up and in a couple of instances an "Unrecoverable Error" has occurred. In addition to the issue with the family parameters, using the "Create Similar" tool to make a copy of the same family will not work and causes another "Serious Error".

Has anyone else experienced similar errors on one or more projects?

In an attempt to fix the problem without going through the aggravating process that is Autodesk "support", we tried a couple of different things with only little success. The first project we were able to fix (as far as we can tell) by reloading the affected family. So far, the parameters seem to work as intended. Furthermore, we audited the file for good measure. We attempted the same "fix" on the other affected projects, but when reloading and auditing we received a "Serious" or "Unrecoverable" error.

Autodesk "support" was able to fix the files. The only information they would give me is that the problem is a known 2009 issue and that elements were suddenly losing their IDs. They also suggested that others were experiencing the same problem, so that is why I am coming to the forums to see if anyone knows more about it than me.

The more information I can gather will hopefully allow me to avoid or fix the problem in the future. It may very well be a software issue that I cannot resolve, but the fact that it is suddenly occurring on many separate projects is a little disturbing and we have wasted a few days sitting still while Autodesk takes their time fixing the files.

Please let me know if you have experienced similar problems.

jj mac
2009-05-28, 04:05 PM
We haven't experienced anything quite like what you are describing but I am curious to know what operating system you are using??

XP? XPx64? Vista? Vista x64?

And for that matter, what version of 2009?

Thanks for posting!

christian.69744
2009-05-28, 04:32 PM
JJ...We are using Revit 2009 Build: 20081118_1045. As for OS, we are running XP Pro SP3.