PDA

View Full Version : Bearing / Non-Bearing Parameter

cek
2009-05-28, 04:46 PM
In my wall schedule I would like to have the wall's "Structural Usage" parameter drive a text parameter that acts as a pointer to the Structural Engineer's drawings.

The Boolean structure I'm using is as follows:

if("Structural Usage"="Non-bearing","n/a","Per Structural")

This formula only returns an "Improper Use of Boolean Expression" Is Revit still unable to process a simple text comparison or have I totally botched the expression?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

cporter.207875
2009-05-28, 04:58 PM
I would eliminate the quotation marks and try again.

archjake
2009-05-28, 04:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken the parameter Structural Usage can not be used in a formula. A test of this can be seen if you leave out everything in the formula field and just have a parameter set to Structural Usage. You will find that this parameter will not go through. When I do this to a calculated value in a schedule I get the following error:

The field "Structural Usage" can not be included in the formula. Only numerical, Yes/No, and text fields can be used in formulas.

cporter.207875
2009-05-28, 05:08 PM
I just tested it and got the same results.

cek
2009-05-28, 06:20 PM
Yes, I encountered the same error. I thought by including the quotation marks the formula would see the parameter as a text string. Apparently that's not the case.

Doesn't seem like we can use the results of the Structural Usage parameter beyond the internal coding limits of the program. Does this limitation exist in 2010?

archjake
2009-05-28, 06:31 PM
Doesn't seem like we can use the results of the Structural Usage parameter beyond the internal coding limits of the program. Does this limitation exist in 2010?

2010 still has the same problem. I think this parameter ties very closely to a views discipline. Set a view to 'structural' and it will only display components and walls which know they are structure (ie: a bearing wall). Further analysis would be nice though. Perhaps a filter to poche' all structural walls on a coordination plan could suite your needs.