PDA

View Full Version : Help with a roof

dimitri
2009-05-28, 09:23 PM
Hey, i'm having trouble creating a simple roof by footprint. When i'm finished drawing my lines and specifying which need slopes i get the 'Cannot Create Roof Footprint' error. Which i hate since it doesn't give you a reason WHY it can't create it...
I'm attaching a picture, can anyone help?

cporter.207875
2009-05-28, 09:38 PM
Little hard to tell the problem by looking at your screen shot. What slopes are you specifying for each individual edge?

dimitri
2009-05-28, 09:40 PM
They are all the same at 20 degrees.

I can't send the actual file since it doesn't allow me to save while in sketch mode...

iankids
2009-05-28, 10:00 PM
Hi Dimitri,

I sometimes find that very small hip ends like the one on the upper right hand side of the left hand wing can cause some problems. To over come it, I create this portion as a separate roof and then use the join roofs tool.

It may not be that particular portion of the roof which is creating the problem, but with a little bit of trial and error using separate roofs I think it should work out.

Hope this helps

Ian

nancy.mcclure
2009-05-28, 10:01 PM
Dimitri,

I mocked up a roof similar to your sketch, and was successful. I think your issue might be with the general dimensions of the wall positions and how the various ridges need to come together where the various room widths combine (see attached image). You might test with a different roof pitch, see if that's successful, and redefine it with your target slope and see how the change might make it physically impossible to model.

You may need to model the roof as two or more elements - the 2 N/S wings then joined by an extruded roof at the cross?

Hope that helps,

dimitri
2009-05-28, 10:14 PM
Thanks peeps! I'll try those in a bit.

Gadget Man
2009-05-30, 11:21 PM
Have you made your roof with different overhangs by any chance? In such a case you may want to use "Align Eaves" tool to check if any of your eaves have different fascia height and align them...