PDA

View Full Version : RAC 2009 Dimensions delete on family update

azmz3
2009-05-28, 10:17 PM
I am trying to update my door families, in a project with 4 buildings. for some reason, when i load the families, Revit wants to lose the dimension references and delete the dimensions. has anyone else see or had this problem, and does anyone know what the solution might be to this. The doors are changing size or name at all, they are just updated to reflect better graphically.

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-28, 10:47 PM
What do you mean, "reflect better graphically?"

Did you delete and redraw the symbolic lines or the modeled elements on the door family?

What references in the family are the dimensions touching? If theyre touching something that was deleted instead of modified, then you will lose the dimension references...

azmz3
2009-05-29, 02:33 PM
For the most part, the families did not have symbolic lines drawin in them, so I added the symbolic lines. If they did already have symbolic lines, they were deleted and redrawn in the same location, using the correct linetypes for the different parts of the door and with revised lineweights.

The dimensions are touching the outside of the frame, which was not deleted, just changed in the visibility so they dont show in the plan view, only the symbolic lines will show in the plan view now.

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-29, 02:54 PM
So, in the view: The dimension string was tied to something that was there, and is no longer there. It makes sense then, that it is going to delete the dimension on you.

As a rule, you should be careful deleting things in families, instead of modifying them. I would have just changed the symbolic linetypes, instead of deleting and redrawing. Deleting and redrawing, if the dimensions WERE on the symbolic lines, you would lose those dims as well.

But youve replaced the item that you want the dimension to reference. The frame is gone from the view, and the line is now there. So yeah, its going to eliminate the reference...

azmz3
2009-05-29, 03:01 PM
I was thinkin, or hoping Revit would be smarter than that, but I can see what you are saying. we will just have to bite the bullet and re-dimension what we need when the families are updated I guess.

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-29, 05:11 PM
Like i said, if you edit things (like switch the linework from one type to another), Revit IS smart enough to know. But youve basically told it that something is gone, and something new is there. If it "assumed" to replace the dim reference, imagine what a pain it would be when people started building custom families and replacing the family types in projects. It would be a huge SNAFU.