PDA

View Full Version : Showing 'Head height'/standing room

Grumple
2009-05-29, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to work out how this can be shown with Revit...

If a room has a sloping ceiling due to a roof above etc...

Normally (in AutoCAD) a height is measured in a section drawing for standing room, from the floor to where the sloped ceiling meets the height.

This 'level' is then marked and transfered to a plan drawing as a boundary inside the space to show the 'useable space'/head height/standing room...

How can this be done with Revit?

Is there a way of making model lines show up in all views? i.e. - find height in 3D, draw a boundary at this height, then make the boundary line show in plan view...

Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

btrusty
2009-05-29, 01:08 PM
dont know a way to automatically do it.

make a temporary section
draw a detail line at head height
draw a detail line down to the floor
dimension that line to the wall on the low side

go back to your plan
draw a overhead line and dimension, match section dimension
delete section

done!

Blopar
2009-05-29, 01:25 PM
If you are going to do it manually, I would use a reference plane at the head height. You could dimension it from the floor level and lock that dimension. That will show up in any section view that is cut. Likewise, you can manually put in a reference plane vertically where the roof and the "head height" plane meet. This reference plane will then show up in your plan views. I don't believe that you can lock it to the intersection of the "head height" plane and the roof so that it would move if the roof changes, but at least it will transfer to the plan views. Also, it is always a good idea to name your reference planes (in element properties) so that other users don't erase them if they are important.

Good Luck.

jeffh
2009-05-29, 01:40 PM
You can use reference planes to find the heights you are describing. See attached image. I place a human figure in the section view to detirmine the height needed. Then drew a ref plane at appromax the correct height. Then drew the 2 vretical ref planes where the horizontal plane intersected the roof. The vertical ref planes show in the plan view automatically.

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-29, 01:50 PM
Make a Family that is parametric in width, length, and height. It can just be reference planes, or an actual extrusion. Have symbolic lines showing around the "perimeter". In elevation too, if you prefer it in building sections.

Place it in the room, and stretc till it touches the sloping ceiling.

Grumple
2009-05-29, 02:44 PM
Awesome!

Thanks guys :)

Really like that idea Aaron... I'll give it a go now!

twiceroadsfool
2009-05-29, 02:56 PM
Its also nice because then you have an "object" there if you want to use it for Space Reseveration or Clash Detection in the future. :)