PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with wall openings?

jspartz
2009-05-29, 03:11 PM
Can someone enlighten me on the logic in the wall openings parameters? The heights you set in the properties rarely match the output, or even add up. Such as a base and top constraint on the same level, base offset of 3'-0" and top offset of 8'-0" and unconnected height equaling 0, or both offsets set to 3'-0", which should have a unconnected height of 0, but instead say 13'-0"? What is the issue with them? I know the other experts here know what I'm talking about. Before I've just played around with them until they're right, but haven't figured out the tools messed up logic.

tomnewsom
2009-05-29, 03:57 PM
Short answer - it's a terrible implementation.
Slightly longer answer - don't use them, use my opening families (link on its way)

http://forums.augi.com/showpost.php?p=926509&postcount=7

jspartz
2009-05-29, 04:20 PM
Sometimes the solution is so simple. Thanks a lot!

Yet, I still would like to know how to get the opening tool to work correctly the first time in the case of curved walls, the tool will follow the curve which is the only thing I like about it.

tomnewsom
2009-05-29, 04:25 PM
Sometimes the solution is so simple. Thanks a lot!

Yet, I still would like to know how to get the opening tool to work correctly the first time in the case of curved walls, the tool will follow the curve which is the only thing I like about it.
In my experience, the best thing to do is ignore the parameters and Alignin the top and bottom of the opening with temporary detail lines in a section view.

jspartz
2009-05-29, 04:43 PM
That is what I resort to when the parameters aren't making any sense, which is very annoying on a building that's mostly curved. Or I align one and then copy whatever parameters settings it says to others which works sometimes, but sometimes puts it where the actual parameters say it should be. Since it's a computer, I'm trying to make some rational sense of it, and figure out where the math went wrong or what triggers it, but haven't been able to pinpoint it.