PDA

View Full Version : Selection Filter

t1.shep
2009-06-04, 06:48 PM
I have a bunch of mostly generic model components that I would like to be able to repeatedly isolate (turn every off in the view except the selected elements). I could do this with groups, but my past experience with groups not being very friendly makes me hesitate. I thought I could do this with a view filter, but since I need to turn on and off various elements I can't get a parameter that applies to all.
So, I'd like to be able to apply a filter that turns off everything except a specific selection of generic models components (hence the need to choose a parameter to filter by.)
I rarely use the view filter, so maybe I'm just not using it right?
Is there a way to create a selection of generic model components that is filtered by a parameter, which I can then isolate and hide all other model geometry, and do this for any view?

ambera
2009-06-04, 07:21 PM
If I am understanding correctly, you should be able to add a parameter to Generic Models, select only the elements in which you wish to filter, assign data to those elements in that new parameter, then filter based on that parameter and the data that you gave it. Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

t1.shep
2009-08-11, 03:33 PM
My Generic Model families that I need to filter have a shared parameter that is unique to the them (I can filter them in a schedule without issue.) So I thought it would be easy to create a view filter that will turn off the specific Generic Model components. Can't seem to get it to work...
I figured I'd create a filter using the shared parameter and that would be it, since the family already has the parameter assigned to it. But it doesn't do anything to the visibility of the family when I apply the filter to the view. What am I doing wrong?

Rick Houle
2009-08-11, 06:25 PM
It appears that your filter is not working because the shared parameter you chose is a TYPE parameter in the family... if it were an instance parameter it would work...

Also, there is a selection set routine somewhere on this forum that works good... you can define a selection set and call upon that selection at later time...

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-11, 07:20 PM
You applied the Filter to the view... But did you UNcheck the visibility radio button in the VG: Filters tab after applying the filter?

t1.shep
2009-08-11, 07:23 PM
You applied the Filter to the view... But did you UNcheck the visibility radio button in the VG: Filters tab after applying the filter?

Yep. Tried that. Nothing. I haven't tried to set an instance parameter and apply that to the family I need to hide yet...

t1.shep
2009-08-11, 07:31 PM
Whoa, I think I just got it...
With my parameter which number things like, "tc100" or "tc101", I can filter by the parameter name and "contains" tc, for instance. So in my schedule that's what I did. However, for the view filter, I needed to set the parameter setting so that instead of "contains" I had to use "does not contain". So basically, it was just the opposite of how I was filtering the schedule.

Nope :(
That just filtered out all the generic models

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-11, 07:34 PM
I was going to say, i KNOW you can filter by Type Parameters, because i use Filters extensively with Type parameters.

But the Filter is a selection state... So if you Filter for "Contains TC" and then UNcheck visibility, the TC items SHOULD go off....

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-11, 07:38 PM
EDIT: I just tried it, it works fine over here. I can filter by a Type parameter, such that it CONTAINS "TC," and then if i UNcheck visibility, they all go away. :shrug:

t1.shep
2009-08-11, 07:41 PM
EDIT: I just tried it, it works fine over here. I can filter by a Type parameter, such that it CONTAINS "TC," and then if i UNcheck visibility, they all go away. :shrug:

This time I think I got it...When I added the shared parameter to the filter the first time I listed it as an instance. That didn't work and turned everything off.
When I redid it and set it as a type parameter, all is well!
Thanks for your help! This will be a total time saver.

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-12, 01:15 AM
This time I think I got it...When I added the shared parameter to the filter the first time I listed it as an instance. That didn't work and turned everything off.
When I redid it and set it as a type parameter, all is well!
Thanks for your help! This will be a total time saver.

No problem:)