PDA

View Full Version : Revit Architecture 2009 'Not Enough Memory' Error Message

shifali.a
2009-06-05, 10:21 AM
Hi All,

I am using Revit Architecture 2009. I tried to open file of size 119MB, but i got the following error message:

'This computer does not have enough memory to open rvt to revit architecture 2009 .increase the available memory or contact autodesk support for more information'

There is 2 GB RAM on my machine.

Does anyone having any idea?

Thanks & Regards
Shifali

tomnewsom
2009-06-05, 11:08 AM
Hi All,

I am using Revit Architecture 2009. I tried to open file of size 119MB, but i got the following error message:

'This computer does not have enough memory to open rvt to revit architecture 2009 .increase the available memory or contact autodesk support for more information'

There is 2 GB RAM on my machine.

Does anyone having any idea?

Thanks & Regards
Shifali
Yes, I have an idea - buy more RAM :)
If you're on 32-bit windows (very likely) then upgrade to 4GB and enable the 3GB switch http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9729516&linkID=9240697

iankids
2009-06-05, 11:09 AM
Hi Shifali,

I found that with Revit 2008, 2gb of ram was fine, but once I migrated to 2009 I needed substantially more for it to function properly.

If you are running XP then 4 gb ram with the 3 gig switch enabled is probably a workable minimum. If your running Vista then 4gig is workable (8 gig much better ;-) ).

Once you do get it opened, look a culling out any families which are not actually used in the model to reduce the size of the file.

There are some pretty good threads on this & similar subjects in the hardware section.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Ian

tomnewsom
2009-06-05, 11:52 AM
Vista alone will not use more than 4GB. In order to take advantage of that much RAM, you need 64-bit XP or Vista

Elmo
2009-06-05, 01:50 PM
Quick thing, getting 4gb of ram for an XP machine is just silly. XP will not see 4 gb's. Only 3.2 gb's. The 3gig switch will help out immenely although going 64bit vista with 8gb of ram would be more effective.

CADMama
2009-06-05, 02:05 PM
Everyone should be on Subscription and go download the work sharing monitor for your version. There is a "System Performance" option in the Worksharing monitor. I just did a screen capture of it running with my 2009 product open.

This can alert you as to memory usage prior to getting the dreaded out of ram message.

ALSO - you should be closing down your project occansionally. Do you take a break - then let Revit take a break. Out to lunch - Revit turned off. Don't leave your projects open all the time.

tomnewsom
2009-06-05, 02:12 PM
Quick thing, getting 4gb of ram for an XP machine is just silly. XP will not see 4 gb's. Only 3.2 gb's. The 3gig switch will help out immenely although going 64bit vista with 8gb of ram would be more effective.
Not completely silly. Buying ram in pairs makes sense with DDR in order to take advantage of the access speed. And 3.2GB is still more than 3GB. Totally worth it considering how cheap RAM is.