PDA

View Full Version : Railing Host Problem?

Rick Houle
2009-06-05, 07:11 PM
Is it possible to host a railing to two separate floor pieces..? I thought it was...

This railing sketch is two sketch lines broken at the floor seam... (see attached)

iankids
2009-06-05, 07:35 PM
Hi Rick,

If there is a way to do it, I haven't figured it out yet. (& would love to know :-) )

I use a curtain wall in lieu of the railing. The curtain wall will attach to the floor and the top can be edited using edit profile.

Cheers,

Ian

Mike Sealander
2009-06-05, 07:42 PM
What I've done superimposed a thin Ramp object on the sloped floor. The rail will allow itself to be hosted to the Ramp, while the sloped floor is incapable of talking to the rail.

Rick Houle
2009-06-05, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.. I will experiment with both of those methods.

Scott Womack
2009-06-08, 09:42 AM
Host the railing to the sloped piece of floor. Then, aafter doing this, edit the railing , select the piece (since you already broke it into two pieces) over the flat portion of the floor, and in the toolbar that will appear, pull down the Host pulldown, and change it to flat. This will cause the portion of the railing over the flat floor to flatten out. You may have to play with where this break point occurs in relation to the change in floor slope to get the flat portion of the railing to be the correct height.

Rick Houle
2009-06-17, 11:36 AM
I guess that works, with a baluster tweak.
By default the baluster base is set to host to the host... so they go wonky when the top segment is set to Flat... But changing the baluster base to host to a bottom rail works fine.

Thanks for the posts...