PDA

View Full Version : Floor surface patterns distort

tomnewsom
2009-06-09, 10:40 AM
I'm modelling an exterior landscaping project, using floor objects for the various types of paving. This is so I can get proper layer control down through sand, substrate etc. and also so I can get a proper thickness at the edge (unlike Topo objects).

However, when I use Modify Sub-Elements to move edge verticies around, the surface pattern warps and bends all over the place. It's particularly bad with floors that have curved edges, but simple rectangles do it too. It's impossible to Align, Move or Rotate the surface pattern. The warping affects the render too. Only surfaces with perfectly flat rectanglur sections (eg. simple ramps) allow re-alignment of the pattern.

Any workarounds?

sthedens
2009-06-09, 01:19 PM
As a "Drafting" pattern you can specify the pattern orientation to "Orient to View" or "Keep Readable". The other option "Align with element" looks like what you're seeing. We use "Align with element" for wall cut patterns so angled walls look correct.

The "Model" patterns do not have this orientation option. Assuming you're using a Model pattern, it appears that Model patterns automatically Align with element.

tomnewsom
2009-06-09, 01:47 PM
As a "Drafting" pattern you can specify the pattern orientation to "Orient to View" or "Keep Readable". The other option "Align with element" looks like what you're seeing. We use "Align with element" for wall cut patterns so angled walls look correct.

The "Model" patterns do not have this orientation option. Assuming you're using a Model pattern, it appears that Model patterns automatically Align with element.
Hmm, If my element was a sliced-n-diced blobby thing, this would make sense!

The workaround I'm using is to make a slightly larger floor with straight edges, then cut the curves out with Vertical Openings. I lose some accuracy in the actual levels at the edges, but the pattern lines up which is the important thing.

jesteroftroy734961
2016-09-12, 02:20 AM
This is a fair while down the track, but I'm having the exact same problem with Revit 2017.

I use a floor with (drafting type) fill pattern set to 'orient to view' but when modifying subelements, the pattern distorts to reflect angles of the various faces.
I cannot seem to get the surface to have one consistent pattern regardless of face orientation.

Any help appreciated.