PDA

View Full Version : Extracting data from a nested element

the_thorne22
2009-06-09, 01:07 PM
I'm looking at adding parameters to my pilecap families so that changing the size of the pile will increase/ decrease the size of my pilecap automatically.

We use a standard offset of 150mm from the edge of the pile to edge of the pilecap so I have a length and width parameter with a standard offset. Setting up a number of parameter in order to achieve this within the pilecap is relatively simple. The only problem with this is that I have to manually input the size of the pile being used. See the attached element.

What I'm trying to achieve is to create a parameter that can read the size of the pile from the pile directly. So I'd like to be able to extract data from the nested pile if possible. Can anyone help?

m20roxxers
2009-06-09, 11:28 PM
If you turn on the shared button under the catagory and parameters option this will eliminate the need for shared parameters unless you are creating special tags.

However if this is for a schedule then you should only need this option.

allan_bim
2009-06-12, 03:41 PM
If you turn on the shared button under the catagory and parameters option this will eliminate the need for shared parameters unless you are creating special tags.

However if this is for a schedule then you should only need this option.

m20roxxers, I've had a look at this, doesn't seem quite as simple as that. I went into the pile cap family, edited the family of the nested pile changed the pile radius to a shared parameter, loaded it back across to the pile cap family, but I do not see it exposed anywhwere that we can drive the parameters of the pile cap directly from the pile.

Scott Wilson
2009-06-30, 02:54 PM
I don't know of a way to query families and extract data as you are suggesting, either.

Since your pile diameter is what's driving the cap dimensions, why not approach it the opposite way? Nest a pile cap family into the pile family instead. That way, you can use the diameter parameter and some formulas to set the cap dimensions.

One way to work with what you have already is to set up different types and hard code the pile cap dimensions and pile types in as type parameters that aren't dependent on each other.

t1.shep
2009-06-30, 05:50 PM
It looks like you need to set the "Diameter" parameter in the Pile Cap family to be the same shared "Diameter" parameter that is in the Pile family. (You'll have to use the same text file where the shared parameters are saved.) That way, when you change the pile family, the pile cap will reference the same diameter and adjust accordingly.

Scott Wilson
2009-06-30, 06:50 PM
It looks like you need to set the "Diameter" parameter in the Pile Cap family to be the same shared "Diameter" parameter that is in the Pile family. (You'll have to use the same text file where the shared parameters are saved.) That way, when you change the pile family, the pile cap will reference the same diameter and adjust accordingly.

I tried this exact approach at first, but the diameter parameter in the combined family would not change with the diameter of pile. Am I missing something?

t1.shep
2009-06-30, 07:24 PM
I tried this exact approach at first, but the diameter parameter in the combined family would not change with the diameter of pile. Am I missing something?

Well, I found something interesting...
I think we're both missing something, because when I actually tried it, it didn't work. For some reason it's not allowing you to link the diameter parameter in the nested pile family...Not sure why, but it might have something to do with it being a structural member???
At any rate...I did find that if you nest the cap into the pile (as Scott above suggested) it works just fine. Just tell the diameter parameter in the nested cap to be the diameter of the pile parameter.

Scott Wilson
2009-06-30, 08:32 PM
. For some reason it's not allowing you to link the diameter parameter in the nested pile family...Not sure why, but it might have something to do with it being a structural member???

Changing the diameter parameter to an instance parameter will allow you to link them.

That's not so great, though, if the nested pile family is the same one being used (without caps) in other areas of the project. Ideally, I would try to keep the type parameters within the pile family as type parameters, so that nested and un-nested piles can all be scheduled and tagged the same way.