PDA

View Full Version : Footings attaching to wall openings

david.adriaanse
2009-06-09, 06:01 PM
I'm having a problem with footings when creating new walls that have openings.

If the wall has an opening that continues down to the footing level, I'll create it by editing the wall profile, and then attaching the footing. In all of the files I've worked on/created so far this has worked fine... until today.

A colleague approached me because footings were attaching where the wall header would be. Is there a fix for this (aside from using the "opening" which seems kind of clumsy for these kind of openings tool)? I've tried changing wall types, creating new (different) walls, checking all kinds of settings in the walls & footings - nothing seems to get it to stop attaching above the wall base level. I thought originally that maybe the file just got screwed up, but apparently this isn't the first file that has done it.

Thanks!

-David

aggockel50321
2009-06-10, 02:38 PM
Rather than editing the profile, you could split the wall at the opening edges, and then add a base offset to the split-out piece equal to your opening height. The walls will join, so you won't see the split line in elevations.

Then when you use the wall footing tool, you can do just the two walls on either side of your opening.

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-10, 02:55 PM
What if you do this:

Edit a door family > get rid of all door elements in plan and 3D (keep only the opening) > change its category to be Generic model (so it won't schedule as a door) > load it into the project.

Now when you insert that opening (the same way you insert a door) the foundations will automatically be cut just below it. If you don't want the foundation to cut, just go to your foundation properties and check "Do not break at inserts". No need to edit profiles or split the wall, and the openings may have height and width parameters exactly as doors, for an easier insertion.

Andre Carvalho

cliff collins
2009-06-10, 06:55 PM
I'm liking Andre's idea of the "opening only generic door".......

Question:

What happens if you build the walls 1st, with no openings yet, attach the footings,
and lastly add the openings. Do the footings stay continuous, or are they
incorrect at the openings?

cheers..................

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-10, 08:46 PM
I'm liking Andre's idea of the "opening only generic door".......

Question:

What happens if you build the walls 1st, with no openings yet, attach the footings,
and lastly add the openings. Do the footings stay continuous, or are they
incorrect at the openings?

cheers..................

The footing will get cut as soon as you insert the opening. But if your footings are set to "Do not break at inserts" then the footing will stay continuous.

Andre Carvalho

d.stairmand
2009-06-11, 11:06 AM
David
The easiest way i found to do Footings is not to use Wall Sweeps or Profiles - Just use the Slab Footing Tool. It creates the Footings like a Floor Slab.