PDA

View Full Version : Constraint problem

bob.86982
2009-06-10, 04:20 PM
I have a two story building with a lot of corners and complexities. It has a lot of dimensioning to walls, doors , windows, etc. I have grid lines with the walls locked to them and I want to extend one part of the building 3'-6'. I have unlocked the dimensions I want to allow to change and tried to move the grid line at the end of the building I want to extend but it pulls all of the grid lines with it even though I unlocked its dimension. It tells me it needs to remove 19 constraints where the other grid lines are locked to other parts of the building. I thought this was going to be a simple change but its not, what am I doing wrong?

cliff collins
2009-06-10, 04:22 PM
Try using Move and check disjoin.

cheers.....

bob.86982
2009-06-10, 04:41 PM
Cliff,

Thanks but when I do that it moves the grid line but none of the building with it. If I check constrain, it extends the building but still gives me 10 constraints it wants to remove, which are other walls connected to other grids?

cliff collins
2009-06-10, 04:45 PM
You might try to move the wall independently by using disjoin.
Then align the grid to the wall, or type in a new dimension.

Unlock all dimensions, which tends to overconstrain the model.

Once walls and grids are located properly, pin them.

Just some quick thoughts.

Good luck!

bob.86982
2009-06-10, 05:09 PM
Thanks Cliff,

I did that and still got a warning to remove 8 constraints. I allowed it to remove them so I will just have to try to get everything put back together properly, I always end up finding things messed up later that I didn't anticipate. It seemed like I had all of the locks that would have allowed an easy adjustment removed but I guess not.