PDA

View Full Version : Diagonal Corner Mullions on Curtain Wall

daveclaflin
2009-06-11, 04:10 PM
We're not using 2010 yet. Has the capability to have 45 degree (diagonal) coner mullions bee added to the new release? See attached

cliff collins
2009-06-11, 05:09 PM
I believe you can do this in RAC 2009, with a custom mullion.

There is no new 45 deg. mullion in RAC 2010, that I'm aware of.

cheers........

t1.shep
2009-06-11, 09:11 PM
THIS IS TOTALLY DOABLE IN 2009.
You need to create the mullion detail and profile. Nest the detail in the profile and load into the project.
Select an existing mullion on your curtain wall and create a duplicate and name it as your corner mullion and choose your new corner mullion profile for the mullion profile. (Make sure you change the mullion back to the appropriate mullion.
In your curtainwall settings, there are options for the mullions (Interior, Border 1, and Border 2). I believe that the corner mullion is controlled by the Border 2 Type (if not it is one of those.) In the drop down choose the new mullion that you just created.
At least it's something like that...I think:)
The other option is to create a custom column. And end your curtain wall into that.

saeborne
2009-06-11, 09:16 PM
I've been able to get a mullion work when the two curtain walls join at exactly 90 degrees. However, if it's any other condition... 80 degrees, 110 degrees, that custom mullion stops working. I've even made custom mullions with a parameter to set the angle. Although the mullion changes shape appropriately, it doesn't fit within the Curtain Wall's join condition.

In the end, I made a Generic Component family that acts as the corner mullion. Not the best solution, but one that is easy to implement.

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-12, 04:10 AM
Only mullions that are set to "corner mullions" will trim both curtain panels at the corner condition. Regular mullions will trim only the one that's actually hosting the curtain grid line. To solve that, you can create two half mullions and add one half for each corner, thus completing one corner mullion that will trim the panels from both sides.

Andre Carvalho

saeborne
2009-06-12, 05:42 PM
Only mullions that are set to "corner mullions" will trim both curtain panels at the corner condition. Regular mullions will trim only the one that's actually hosting the curtain grid line. To solve that, you can create two half mullions and add one half for each corner, thus completing one corner mullion that will trim the panels from both sides.

Andre Carvalho

That's interesting, Andre. Would you mind posting a screen capture of how that looks in plan?

What about corner conditions that are not 90 degress? Say it's 110 degrees or something?

Cheers,

Bryan

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-12, 07:43 PM
That's interesting, Andre. Would you mind posting a screen capture of how that looks in plan?

Sure. See attached a quick example I did from the detail posted above.

What about corner conditions that are not 90 degress? Say it's 110 degrees or something?

Cheers,

Bryan

Same thing as above. It's all about calculating the angle to draw the mullion detail that will match when both mullions are side by side.

Andre Carvalho

grudy
2009-10-19, 08:13 PM
This works great for concave corners, but what about for convex ones? Mullions do not seem to like going beyond the length of the curtain wall.

Andre Carvalho
2009-10-19, 09:00 PM
This works great for concave corners, but what about for convex ones? Mullions do not seem to like going beyond the length of the curtain wall.

I know. You'll have to extend your curtain wall, add a curtain grid to host the corner mullion and make the extra panels created after extending the curtain wall as "empty panels".

Andre Carvalho

jkaskela
2010-06-15, 04:01 PM
Do you have to create mullion halves for every corner (NW SW NE SE)?. Your example shows a corner at a SW corner. If I try to use the same mullions at a SE corner they don't come in correctly.