PDA

View Full Version : Families with Masking Regions, "Overlapping"

saeborne
2009-06-11, 09:12 PM
Hi All...

I've hit a bit of a family pickle. Please see attached .RVT and .JPG.

Basically, I'm trying to prepare a Furniture Library for an ENORMOUS government job. Well, big to me, anyway. I have families that represent File Cabinets, and other families that represent work surfaces. They are all nested a in different configurations, into other family components.

In plan views, I don't want to show any geometry... I've set the 3D geometry to only be visible in Elevation / 3D views. In plan view, I rely on Masking Regions to have the furniture "pop" on a color fill plan.

Here is the dilemma...

When the file cabinet goes under a work surface, I want the file cab's masking region to go under the work surface masking region. That much is fine... But I also want the file cabinet to show a dashed symbolic line on top of the work surface. I don't want to resort to detail lines in plan view.

I can't get it to work both ways... It always ends up that both the masking region and the dashed lines are on top, or both are below. Is there anyway to have it go both ways?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

eddy.lermytte
2009-06-11, 11:01 PM
Bryan
Maybe this way ?

tomnewsom
2009-06-12, 11:21 AM
symbolic lines and masking regions do actually have 'z-axis' information, so you want to put your masking region on a workplane that's under desk height, and your dashed lines on a workplane that's above desk height. When there's no desk, the lines will overlap and you won't see the dash.

saeborne
2009-06-12, 02:10 PM
Bryan
Maybe this way ?

That....

is...

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch! This totally solves my problem!!!

saeborne
2009-06-12, 07:51 PM
Bryan
Maybe this way ?

Hi Eddy,

Your solution works really well. But I've encountered a bug that I just can't figure out.

Please see attached. Sometimes the masking regions inside of the furniture works perfectly. Other times, the masking region is obscured by a floor object. Everything looks ok if I hide the floor category. But I know there will be situations where I want to see a color fill plan, with floor patterns.

Quite odd, because some times it works, and sometimes it just don't! The problem started when I copy / pasted the family between projects. Or when I try to reload the family.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-12, 08:30 PM
Hi Eddy,

Your solution works really well. But I've encountered a bug that I just can't figure out.

Please see attached. Sometimes the masking regions inside of the furniture works perfectly. Other times, the masking region is obscured by a floor object. Everything looks ok if I hide the floor category. But I know there will be situations where I want to see a color fill plan, with floor patterns.

Quite odd, because some times it works, and sometimes it just don't! The problem started when I copy / pasted the family between projects. Or when I try to reload the family.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Bryan,

Edit your family > go to an elevation view > ad a reference plane, let's say 1 inch above the reference level > name that reference plane > add a dimension between the reference plane and the reference level and lock it > select the filled region in plan > select Edit Work Plane > from the list, select the plane you just named > reload the family to the project.

Now your filled region is histed by a plane that is higher the the reference level (that's where the floor finish is). I think the fact that they were coinciding was causing the problem. See attached.

Andre Carvalho