PDA

View Full Version : Residential Roofing Issue (Beginning Revit User)

drash
2009-06-12, 01:14 PM
We recently started using Revit, (Revit Architecture 2009) and I'm having issues trying to generate Gable Ends. I can do the Gable Roof, but I can never get the Gable Ends to show up. (I want to be able to put a vent in.)

Based on a single story Residential Home, I've set my elevations using the 0'-0" as the B.O. Foundation, 4'-0" as my Entry, and 12'-0" as my Roof. (Just an example).

When I create my Exterior Walls on the Entry Level, I extrude or Pad them to the Roof Level (Incorrect Term, I'm sure, but I was primarily a Catia, AutoCAD or Inventor User prior to the Economy Dump.). Add my Gable Roof with an 8:12 Pitch, and no Gable End. The Gabled Roof is there, (This was a learning experiance in itself) but no Gable End.

I'm sure each of you is laughing while reading this post, but I hope you have time to address this simple, (To You I'm sure.) yet irritating issue I am having. Please don't tell me to go back to AutoCAD....... I am really trying to get a grip on this.

Revit has become "The" Architectural Software to use, hence we are trying to implement it. (Small Office with big dreams.)

On the up side, material costs are down, so business is expanding. The current workaround has been, Export Revit to AutoCAD, create the Gable End and complete the Drawing set. I would rather stay within the Revit Environment, and I'm sure if I keep beating my head against it, I will eventually figure it out. I was hoping to avoid that (I have a headache most of the time anyway....LOL)

Thanks Ahead of Time,
Wantabe Architectual Designer

Joef
2009-06-12, 01:54 PM
A picture is worth .... . I'm not sure how a roof can have a gable without a gable end. Do you mean that there is no gable end wall? Just attach the wall to the roof.

drash
2009-06-12, 02:03 PM
I'll make sure to include a picture, but yes, I mean the Gable End Wall.

I guess the question would be, Shouldn't the walls attach to the Roof Elevation, and continue up to the roof peak? or Should I leave the walls unattached until I finish the roof? (20' Wall ?????? then Trim to the Roof).

I know. "I'm an idiot"

Joef
2009-06-12, 03:25 PM
I create a level that represents the top plate that the roof will rest on. I draw the walls so that they go up to that level. I then draw my roof ( at that level) and attach the gable end walls to the roof.

drash
2009-06-12, 05:28 PM
:banghead:

I'm going to give this a shot. I think I have an understanding as to the concept now. I do appreciate it.

patricks
2009-06-12, 08:15 PM
Just select your end wall, click the Attach button at the top, and make sure the Top radio button is selected. Then just click on the roof. If the wall is underneath the gable end of the roof, the top of the wall will automatically extend up and trim to the shape of the underside of your roof.

drash
2009-06-15, 12:17 PM
It worked. I really feel stupid... I tried it over the weekend and it went off without a hitch.

I thought it was more involved than that. I appreciate each of you, and my World has definately been simplified.

Thanks All,

petebalf
2009-07-12, 10:44 AM
It worked. I really feel stupid... I tried it over the weekend and it went off without a hitch.

I thought it was more involved than that. I appreciate each of you, and my World has definately been simplified.

Thanks All,

That's Revit for you. Battle it out, do the head in, wake up 1/2 way through the night with a false eureka moment, then one day simply sit down and press the right couple of tools in the right order, and all is done. It is definitely one of those programs that bites as soon as I get tired.

drash
2009-07-13, 12:46 PM
That's Revit for you. Battle it out, do the head in, wake up 1/2 way through the night with a false eureka moment, then one day simply sit down and press the right couple of tools in the right order, and all is done. It is definitely one of those programs that bites as soon as I get tired.

I have had several of those False Eurekas. Due to lack of funds in the Budget, we have to figure out alot of stuff with minimal assistance. I have found that AUGI is great for this kind of help.

I've worked with 3D for sometime, and I've had to learn alot of stuf through trial and error.

Thanks AUGI,

SFortwangler
2009-07-13, 05:44 PM
If you are still looking for that vent, you can find one here:

http://revit.autodesk.com/library/archive2009/html/index.html

It is under "Misc Architectural". I believe it is a wall-based family.

drash
2009-07-17, 12:04 PM
If you are still looking for that vent, you can find one here:

http://revit.autodesk.com/library/archive2009/html/index.html

It is under "Misc Architectural". I believe it is a wall-based family.

I created a Vent in Inventor and imported it to Revit. Thank you though, I do appreciate it.;)