PDA

View Full Version : Phase dependant wall types

DFlynn
2009-06-13, 03:23 AM
I wondered if there was a way to demolish a material. I have a situation where I would like to re-clad an existing wall. The wall is built in the existing phase with a structure that includes layers for the internal lining, timber framing and external cladding. In the proposed phase I would like the same wall to have a new external cladding.

I have tried modeling the cladding as a seperate wall previously but found it caused more problems than it solved when including doors and windows then demolishing them and adding new ones to the next phase.

Have also been using keynotes to tag both the wall types and it's materials as well as wall type schedules to control the information in my project. I find this works really well except in this situation. I've tried creating a seperate wall type to the other existing external walls which don't require the new cladding but with a different material for the cladding. This kind of works for my schdule as I can describe both the existing and new cladding in the one material parameters or keynote. But when taging the material in exising, demolition and proposed plans I get the same note. I also have to use the graphic overrides to control the claddings appearence.

Just wondered if anyone had way of dealing with this, any advice would be appreciated.

Regard
Daniel

ws
2009-06-13, 10:55 AM
I don't know if it is a good method but frequently in alterations jobs I copy an element such as a wall (or more usually a roof) to be modified, in a New Construction phase View, demolish it and then Paste it back into the same place, which makes it new construction and so easily modifiable.

Unfortunately it can give problems with wall joins not only in New Construction but back in the Existing Phase views and you need to watch if the new wall is attached to say an Existing Phase roof.

Scott Womack
2009-06-15, 10:21 AM
I wondered if there was a way to demolish a material. I have a situation where I would like to re-clad an existing wall. The wall is built in the existing phase with a structure that includes layers for the internal lining, timber framing and external cladding. In the proposed phase I would like the same wall to have a new external cladding.

There is no way to demolish a material, or just a portion of the wall. Your previous attempts to model what has to be demolished as a separate wall was on the right path.