PDA

View Full Version : Create wood walls the right way

ramirezarqs
2009-06-14, 12:33 AM
Hi,

I really want to learn revit but it seams everything so complicated. I'm doing a project of preservation of an historic house made of wood in Puerto Rico. I want to make wood walls in revit but I never find the tools or a tutorial. This walls has different sheathing on their sides. Please let me know...

Thanks

trombe
2009-06-14, 02:41 AM
Hi,

I really want to learn revit but it seams everything so complicated. I'm doing a project of preservation of an historic house made of wood in Puerto Rico. I want to make wood walls in revit but I never find the tools or a tutorial. This walls has different sheathing on their sides. Please let me know...

Thanks

Hi ramirez,

It sounds like you just picked Revit up today and expect to be able to produce a building overnight, sorry man, it ain't gonna happen. It might with Chief Architect or something like that, but not with Revit.
With respect, you simply must read the Tutorials and Help for this program before you can expect to work with it at all. Yes it is quite sophisticated but not always hard to learn a lot of things.

Sounds like you want to have a new "Wall Type". If so....
go to the wall tool when in a project environment and draw a wall length.
Assuming you have Revit 2010, select the "Home" tab of the Ribbon horizontal interface.
Select Wall tool and draw a length of wall.
Select the wall with left click.
The tab changes to Modify Walls.
On the left hand ribbon end you'll see a tab with with "Element Properties"
Select the lower half of this tab, and choose "Type" properties,
Select Duplicate from the button 75% way up dialogue.
Now choose a new name for your wall.
Now look at the Edit horizontal tab and select that.
you have a dialogue showing the layers that go to make up the wall.
Each has a thickness and a protocol of role / classification, and you can select to edit / choose new materials and so on by clicking on the line in the boxes, a tab will appear. Select the tab, other dialogues will open and so on..
You can enter whatever thicknesses you want for each layer and whether its a core function, substrate or finish function.
Select Preview and a fly out dialogue will appear with a graphic of the element (wall/window/roof/floor etc.)

Choose "Section" from the lowest LH dialogue option.
Choose Modify from the group of horizontal tabs.
Choose the layer you are most interested in now, by clicking on it.
A padlock will appear.
Click on this padlock and it will unlock, the bottom edge of this layer in a vertical extents restriction, (you can now extend the bottom of that layer below the bottom of the wall overall).
You cannot simultaneously unlock the top of this layer ( I dunno why this still remains as such, but it does as its about mathematical constraints) and have the bottom end / edge of the layer unlocked at the same time.

For now, exit out of everything OK if you are satisfied you have what you need to begin with and cannot be bothered setting up a range of other protocols to do with the wall such as sweeps, reveals, materials, cut and surface patterns, layer priorities and so on.

Your now duplicated and revised wall structure with a new name and new characteristics is ready to work with.

If you are expecting to see a 3D view of the actual weatherboard profile you are s#&* out of luck for now .You will see a horizontal surface pattern if that is what you have assigned in the Edit Wall dialogue.
There are a few ways to get this 3D form of the profile, but for now, you have just opened the program so get over it.
Hope this is of some use to you - I really do, but it seems like you are right at the beginning of the journey so read all you can, check the help all the time - this information is all there but you have to be serious about finding it by opening the file and reading the contents page.....

later
trombe