PDA

View Full Version : Revisions - File standards?

barrie.sharp
2009-06-16, 12:02 PM
When I started with Revit I was under the impression that it could track revisions and keep the previous states of the model. Now I have the impression that revisions are just tracking annotation and sheet numbers.

When a drawing is revised, do you keep a copy of the rvt in case you need to refer to the previous model? Am I just getting this all wrong?

Scott Womack
2009-06-16, 03:08 PM
When I started with Revit I was under the impression that it could track revisions and keep the previous states of the model. Now I have the impression that revisions are just tracking annotation and sheet numbers.

When a drawing is revised, do you keep a copy of the rvt in case you need to refer to the previous model? Am I just getting this all wrong?

We archive a set of PDF's of the sheets, and sometimes a copy of the file at major milestones. The revisions are just tracking the clouds and the sheets. It is not actually tracking what you change for each revision (except in the journal files?).

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-16, 03:18 PM
Im still dying to know... Circa 2008 or 9.1 there was a deactivated toolbar called Track Changes. It obviously never came to fruition, and im sure for valid reasons. But i wish the Factor was allowed to tell us what they were TRYING to do. "Track Changes" in Office apps is pretty sweet, i bet it could have been awesome.

That said, same as what Scott said. We archive the model at important milestones as well. Storage space gets cheaper every day...

barrie.sharp
2009-06-18, 10:11 AM
Thank you both. I was guessing that was the case and now I know. Good idea on keeping pdf's, good for reference.

:beer::beer:

Scott Womack
2009-06-18, 10:20 AM
Thank you both. I was guessing that was the case and now I know. Good idea on keeping pdf's, good for reference.

:beer::beer:

We do a tremendous amount of plotting to PDF's. This employer, plus a previous one have KIP large format plotters. the only good thing about this brand is that it comes with another piece of software called Request. It allows us to select a number of PDFs and send them to the printer all at once, while tracking the project number (that you enter).

You could also use the DWF as an archived format. That allows you to go back and measure, etc. to get info off of them, that may not have been explicitly noted.

m20roxxers
2009-06-18, 10:59 AM
Im still dying to know... Circa 2008 or 9.1 there was a deactivated toolbar called Track Changes. It obviously never came to fruition, and im sure for valid reasons. But i wish the Factor was allowed to tell us what they were TRYING to do. "Track Changes" in Office apps is pretty sweet, i bet it could have been awesome.

This was a feature for Revit Structure that allowed users abilities to track changes when exporting to third party applications and back again. It is still in revit structure 2010.

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-18, 01:55 PM
Oh, cool! Good to know. :)