PDA

View Full Version : 2010 "Application Menu" (Big-"R") is S-L-O-W

wholmes
2009-06-17, 03:04 PM
As opposed to the 2009 "File Menu" (which, after icon click, opens instantaneously), the 2010 Big-"R" Application Menu takes many full seconds to open (at least 5 to 8 long seconds, on my 2010 install). This wait (time, after time, after time) becomes totally annoying. It's almost as if I may have an install problem, an OS prob., or hardware prob. - or is it just another ribbon GUI prob? Anyone else having this trouble?

Gadget Man
2009-06-18, 06:25 AM
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you (I don't use 2010 yet - for many reasons) but I just wanted to point out to you that THIS forum (Tips and Tricks) is for posting just that: tips and tricks (i.e. "workarounds", etc.) for other users.

Your question should be in Revit General.

Please make sure that you observe this rule. In this way you are more likely to have your question answered quicker.

jeffh
2009-06-18, 03:03 PM
As opposed to the 2009 "File Menu" (which, after icon click, opens instantaneously), the 2010 Big-"R" Application Menu takes many full seconds to open (at least 5 to 8 long seconds, on my 2010 install). This wait (time, after time, after time) becomes totally annoying. It's almost as if I may have an install problem, an OS prob., or hardware prob. - or is it just another ribbon GUI prob? Anyone else having this trouble?

Here is a link a video clip of the response I am getting from the application menu. 5-8 seconds seems like a really long time.

http://www.screencast.com/users/Jeff.Hanson/folders/Jing/media/ecf697e3-c4c2-4f74-ab63-afbe45b0b0bc

trythefly
2009-06-19, 03:52 PM
Here is a link a video clip of the response I am getting from the application menu. 5-8 seconds seems like a really long time.

http://www.screencast.com/users/Jeff.Hanson/folders/Jing/media/ecf697e3-c4c2-4f74-ab63-afbe45b0b0bc

Agree with Jeff. Mine is instantaneous in Revit MEP 2010.

Has to be a hardware or install problem.

iankids
2009-06-19, 09:25 PM
Mine is also like John and Jeff - pretty much instantaneous.

I am running Revit 2010 64bit running on two boxes, the lesser one has:

Vista Business 64bit
4 Gig Ram
2.33g Intel Duo core processor
Ati Raedon X1650 video card

Cheers,

Ian

jeffh
2009-06-19, 09:31 PM
I am running Revit 2010 64bit running on two boxes, the lesser one has:

Vista Business 64bit
4 Gig Ram
2.33g Intel Duo core processor
Ati Raedon X1650 video card

The machine I used making the video is even lesser. 1.5 yr old laptop.

Win XP
3G RAM
2.0 Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M

jarosa
2009-06-19, 09:42 PM
The only other issue that keeps coming up inf forums is to make sure your drivers are up to date especially for your graphics card.

CRThomas
2010-04-05, 10:05 PM
I too had the slow "Big R" happening. For me it was shortly after working away from the office. I had opened a file on another machine, saved it to the current version, closed it, etc. This placed it in my recent files list.

Back in the office, Revit was slower than normal to open. But the real problem was a full minute wait when I picked the "Big R".

The fix:

Close Revit.
Open the "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\Revit.ini" file in NotePad
Delete the entries under the "[Recent File List]" heading
Save and close
After I did this re-opening Revit was fast again (well ... faster) and picking the "Big R" gave an immediate response.

I hope this helps.

gordolake
2010-04-05, 11:17 PM
Make sure all your network shares and places are valid addresses.
This fixed my problem, I deleted all network shares in windows and rebuilt them, then added only the required places to the open files dialogue box.

Hope this helps
steve

chadcross1
2011-04-28, 05:29 AM
I too had the slow "Big R" happening. For me it was shortly after working away from the office. I had opened a file on another machine, saved it to the current version, closed it, etc. This placed it in my recent files list.

Back in the office, Revit was slower than normal to open. But the real problem was a full minute wait when I picked the "Big R".

The fix:

Close Revit.
Open the "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\Revit.ini" file in NotePad
Delete the entries under the "[Recent File List]" heading
Save and close
After I did this re-opening Revit was fast again (well ... faster) and picking the "Big R" gave an immediate response.

I hope this helps.

This worked perfectly for me, thanks!