PDA

View Full Version : First Steps - Landscape development

r.c.russell
2009-06-17, 08:32 PM
Hi

I've managed to get started on some of my own work. As a basis for this I've been trying to build up a fairly complex coastal ridge upon which the design will be developed.

I now realise that Revit is not a landscaping tool, as I understand, other packages may be more suitable to creating defined topographic elements, but such considerations are important to me and I'd like to be able to model the fundamental structures at least in a basic way. I don't have the luxury of access to any complex geo data to automatically create the contours, so I must construct the landscape myself from basic ordinance map info.

I've attached a jpeg of my attempt, and noted a few aspects that I'd dearly like advice on. Thanks!

a.
Steps:
I have some steep, thin steps cutting down the slope. I've defined them so far through closely packed contour points and sub section colouring, but it would be much nicer to have the rigid concrete geometry defined against the landscaping. Any practical approaches to doing this and tying it into the looser more fluid footpaths that flow around the base and head of the slope? I thought about using slabs but I'm not exactly sure how I would go about it.

b.
Crinkly edges:
I tend to get crinkly edges, which can be a little messy at the edge of raised subregions, so far my best reaction to this has been to try and tightly constrain the edges with a row of closely packed points above and below the drop at the respective heights.

c.
Folding:
Similar to crinkly edges I've had a struggle with a few places where I desire large smooth surfaces but get unsightly folding.

d.
Tears:
As I understand sub-regions must not collide. As sub-regions (in this case) are often divided by a change in elevation, they can stretch or distort the division and highlite it, more noticable in some places than others, in some cases it turns into a white 'scar'.

I'm totally new to Revit, so I may be going about this in completely the wrong way, although I'm half-satisfied with my results so far. Please don't be afraid to help me out with the complete basics, as I might be missing something that's really obvious to you, but that I just haven't twigged on with. I'd rather learn the error of my ways right now, rather than further down the line.

Thanks again in advance for any help!