PDA

View Full Version : Is REVIT the Next Best Thing ???

Zakumi
2009-06-18, 04:33 AM
Will Revit be the Next Best Thing or it is going to join ArchiCAD in the Archived Library ?

traceeschmidt
2009-06-18, 04:46 AM
Of course it is! I think comparing ArchiCAD to REVIT is crazy - could ArchiCAD ever build a complete wall with a single swipe of the mouse? Did it ever cut drafting time in half? Did you ever have the ease of deleting a window in one plan and at the same time deleting it in every other plan with absolutely no effort? I don't think so!

rotc_06
2009-06-18, 04:47 AM
there is no way revit will join, its to far advance in strategies compare to cad its taking over cad realy fast. currently i'm taking a revit class where more than half of the students are profesional architects thats are learning the program because either the job requires it or they lost there job and want more experience to fin a new one.

revit is not the next big thing, IT ALREADY IS!!!

clog boy
2009-06-18, 09:48 AM
Revit set the stage for reliable data- and project/process management. As offices progressively grow familiar with it, new demands and solutions will rise from it. It has been the next best thing but is only part of the solution. Let's not forget that Revit, and with it BIM and Virtual Prototyping is a means to an end, and not a goal in itself. If it doesn't achieve your goals then sadly it is not the best next thing for you.

Jun Austria
2009-06-18, 10:45 AM
Will Revit be the Next Best Thing or it is going to join ArchiCAD in the Archived Library ?

I know some guys(Archicad user) who wants to return to AutoCAD just to finished up the details. While I know some guys(Revit user) dont want to go back to AutoCAD to finished up the details. Yep, it will be the next best thing. But I dont believe Archicad is "In" the Archived Library. It have its own market niche based on price.

jspartz
2009-06-18, 02:13 PM
Revit is definitely gaining the majority of the market. As a competitor, Bentley is looking better than Graphisoft's ArchiCAD in my opinion.

To put it in perspective, ArchiCAD and Revit will end up archived, as other software will become more effective in accomplishing the industry's goals in later years. Both software packages have been around a long time already. Software eventually has to be built from scratch to work effectively, because the program's base code is no longer agile enough. You can only build on top of it for so long without completely changing the base.

It's like building a skyscraper, you can add on top of it until you reach the structural limit it was designed for, to keep adding you need to start at the base (change the 1st floor structure and all the way up) to keep adding on top. At this point, it's too much money and time, why not start from scratch with a better supportive base?

That being the case, Bentley and Graphisoft's base codes are much older already and will be out of date earlier than Revit's if all three are being maintained the same.

Wes Macaulay
2009-06-18, 08:12 PM
I agree with Jamie. ArchiCAD and Microstation date back to 1987, but uStation is harder to master than AC or Revit.

ArchiCAD is the most serious competitor to Revit, though I doubt much that AC12 would require people to go back to CAD!

Revit is newer, having started in 2000, but complicated software tools like these require so much learning that switching is no small affair.

Thus ArchiCAD users are less likely to switch to Revit, though I hear that they do for one reason or another on occasion.

In many respects, Revit is a proof of concept for what AC has been doing for some time. A strong aspect of Revit is that there are versions for engineers, which AC lacks (though they do have a duct modeler).

david_peterson
2009-06-18, 08:52 PM
I'm really starting to the about Bently Structure. I haven't been able to play with it yet, but for what I do, it's got a much better sales pitch than Revit. 100% true interoperability with RAM. Will we switch, I doubt it, but the lack of support given (IHMO) by adesk to address the issues we've been ranting about only to give you the standard response that "Your Issue has been logged with the development team" Kinda gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. Sometimes I think Adesk has been getting closer to the way Microsoft runs. Buy any company that makes a better product and dis-ban it; sue anyone that has a product that's close to your for any reason you can think of; and keep remember that you (Adesk) owns the marketplace. Why couldn't they just stick to a DOS based program. Acad ran so much better then. Where's my Unix version?????

cdatechguy
2009-06-18, 09:37 PM
I still use both....using Revit 2009 and Archicad 12 (two different jobs)...

There are still long lists of what I wish Archicad would do that Revit can do then vice versa...

AP23
2009-06-19, 06:39 AM
Revit could be the next best thing, but unfortunately it isn't (yet). Revit's biggest flaw is that it can't design and document everything. Even now with its new modelling tools, in many cases, revit can't even document its own geometry. And that is one of the reason why most firms still use a combination of 3ds max/Rhino and autocad.

That said, Autodesk has seen the light and after all, gave us, for the least, new modeling tools. However, the world of architecture and the development of competing software technology are developing at a very fast rate. It's questionable if Autodesk can keep up with this.

Zakumi
2009-06-19, 07:58 AM
If it is so, then why it keeps on Crashing ??? Is it ready for "User Friendly" yet so that we don't get embarrassed while showing our Model to the client ??

iankids
2009-06-19, 11:14 AM
Hi yavince78,

For one reason or another (Poor new UI or problems with Video card compatiblity), Revit 2010 is not the best release ever. That being said, I am sure that the problems will get sorted, most likely with the release of WU1. Once it is bedded down, it will be once again a very stable and fantastically flexible tool for us building designers.

Prior to trailling Revit, I spent three months getting used to Archicad (V10). I must say, that I thought Archicad was pretty good, but once I had spent a few months on Revit I found it to be a superior product in many ways. If you are interested, there are a number of threads in the forums comparing the two programs.

I have, up until now not upgraded any paying work to 2010 whilst I spent some time pressure testing the stabilty of the program on my computers and tweaking the video card drivers etc. As everything seems quite stable for me now, I have brought my first paying job across to 2010 this morning.

The additional speed of the program vs 2009 is a good productivity boost and the sweet litttle addon created by Cadwerx ( http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=103065 ) ameliorates the worst of the UI.

If you need to be rock solid, I would suggest staying with 2009. Regardless, whether it is 2009 or 2010 Revit is, IMHO, still the best of the comperable software out there.

Cheers,

Ian

btrusty
2009-06-19, 01:56 PM
i dont think its the "next best thing"

i think it is the "best thing now"

obviously there will be "next best thing" in the future

maybe it will be the next release (perhaps 2010 w/out ribbon or 2011)

there are things in revit that i would like fixed, changed, simplified, added.
and i am not talking about the crashing, etc.

of the programs i have used for cad
(autocad r14, microstation, autocad 2000-2010, sketchup, revit, maya, formz, blender)
revit is the easiest to make, change, update, render, annotate architectural drawings.

samov
2009-06-19, 04:53 PM
Revit can do everything... you just need to relearn everything... it's not autocad but i like it. It makes you think a little but afterwards you have WAY MORE control.

In autocad people just draw everything without thinking ... it quickly becomes useless.