PDA

View Full Version : problem creating instance of column family on a second floor...

ntnik
2009-06-18, 07:52 PM
and this happens....its the same column placed on the first......and it comes in like this

ntnik
2009-06-19, 12:42 PM
still need someone to explain whats going on with this column on second floor....in addition i am looking at my 3-d views and elevations and its in wireframe though either hidden line of shaded

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-19, 02:07 PM
Looks like the base of the columns on either first floor or second floor are sitting on their respective levels. Now the top of the column on the second floor is at the same level of the top of the columns sitting on the first floor. Looks like there is a constraint in the family setting the height from the reference level. Are you sue that the column on the second floor is actually hosted by level 2?

Or just post the family so we can take a look.

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2009-06-19, 02:54 PM
here it is....i locked the little horizontal block to a ref plane to keep it from floating

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-19, 03:15 PM
here it is....i locked the little horizontal block to a ref plane to keep it from floating

Alright. I edited your family and noticed that the elements for the top of the column had their work plane set to unassigned. Then I just selected one by one an for each I went to the "Edit Work Plane" option and changed it to the top level. It is fine now.

Columns are families that have two reference levels: The bottom one and the top one, so when you insert them into your project you can set them to be connected from one level to the other. Because your top elements were unassigned they were just still at the height they were modeled in your family.

I hope it makes sense.

See attached.

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2009-06-19, 03:28 PM
that makes a hell of a lot of sense.........thanks for the time, appreciate it