PDA

View Full Version : Isoloate specific objects in an underlay

jj mac
2009-06-18, 08:08 PM
We need to isolate objects in an underlay/overlay and change their appearance in that view... does anyone have any ideas on how to do this... In the AutoCAD world, we would just use Xrefs obviously, but in Revit I know we can achieve the same thing using filters etc, however I only want those filters to apply to an underlay...

We are using RAC2010 and I think there is a new feature which allows you to change the appearance of the entire overlay/underlay, however I need to be able to change the appearance only for specific objects, or even worksets... or even by filter...

I am hoping to be able to do this without using overlapping views on a sheet.

Any ideas anyone can share?

Scott Womack
2009-06-19, 10:32 AM
We need to isolate objects in an underlay/overlay and change their appearance in that view... does anyone have any ideas on how to do this... In the AutoCAD world, we would just use Xrefs obviously, but in Revit I know we can achieve the same thing using filters etc, however I only want those filters to apply to an underlay...

We are using RAC2010 and I think there is a new feature which allows you to change the appearance of the entire overlay/underlay, however I need to be able to change the appearance only for specific objects, or even worksets... or even by filter...

An underlay is not accessible other than the entire shading of it, to any other command OOTB. The only way may be through API custom programing. I'm not even positive of that.

jj mac
2009-06-19, 12:30 PM
Thanks Scott... This is unfortunate, however I will submit this as a wish list item.

Do you have any work around preference for this particular issue?

saeborne
2009-06-19, 04:26 PM
What specifically are you trying to achieve?

If you're trying to change the lineweight or line color of something visible on the underlay, then that is possible, but potentially time consuming.

With the Underlay turned on, use the Linework tool, to override the line style appearance of the objects you want to see.

A note of caution... The linework'ed lines are still visible in that view, even if you turn the underlay off.

If you're trying to show something on an underlay, but make it shaded... that's a little more difficult. Perhaps the plan region tool can help get you want you need?

Maximillian
2009-06-19, 06:47 PM
I never use underlays except to visualize something temporarily. Right now revit has no real way to show elements above the the cut plane. What you can do is make another separate view of what you you are trying to show below/above your plan, then on a sheet, you can stack the views on top of each other. there will be a dashed alignment line that will allow you to align the views on the sheet.

jj mac
2009-06-22, 02:49 PM
What specifically are you trying to achieve?

Thanks for the replies everyone...

We are use to having the ability in the CAD world, to overlap Xrefs to show structure above.

What I would like to do is have the same visibility settings we use for any regular view but have them apply only to an underlay or overlay, within the view. Similar to the settings we can use through Visibility Graphics.

I know that Revit is NOT CAD, and there are other ways to achieve what I am looking to do such as overlapping sheets, cutting sections or using the underlay. I just want to minimize the steps to get there, and I think that having more control over the visibility of an underlay should be part of basic functionality.

Scott Womack
2009-06-22, 08:39 PM
I know that Revit is NOT CAD, and there are other ways to achieve what I am looking to do such as overlapping sheets, cutting sections or using the underlay. I just want to minimize the steps to get there, and I think that having more control over the visibility of an underlay should be part of basic functionality.

Although I quite agree with you, it would take a considerable re-write to do it. Currently, the underlay is NOT a view, but a Level. Until they provide the ability to have a specific view as an underlay, I'm not sure how they would provide the greater control over the underlay.

Personally, there are many more of Revit's tools, like stairs and railings, that need to be addressed before underlay control is extended, IMHO.