PDA

View Full Version : accurender not tech supported to revit users?

jarod.tulanowski
2004-11-02, 01:16 PM
I was having an issue when downloading content from accustudio. I could not get the correct maps that it was asking for. I looked throughout the material library and did not find it either. My next step was to see if accurender had any upgrades to there material list. to my supprise while talking to one of the top guys (went through two others to get to him) I asked him if there was any upgrades to the material library for revit. His response was shocking, we do not have anything to do with revit now that the big monster has it (autodesk), he stated that they figure it is only a matter of time before Autodesk scraps the accurender part out and they dont want to waste any time supporting it.

wow was that a slap to the face, he was infact was very nice about it, but the reallity of it was a shocker.

was he just in a bad mood, or was this the case for others trying for support

david.metcalf
2004-11-02, 08:15 PM
That is not my understanding. ADSK pays a lic. for every Accurender software in Revit and support is expected.

Les Therrien
2004-11-02, 09:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the understanding that the Accurender-Revit relationship was a one time deal from years ago.
The accurender that's built into Revit is not even current.
I know there have been members that tried to contact Accurender with questions, adn they didn't even know what Revit was!

SkiSouth
2004-11-02, 09:03 PM
Look at this thread from Tatlin, http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1019&page=4&pp=10&highlight=accurender+module In it he explains:

Seperate Program: Revit licenses something called the Accurender Toolkit from Robert McNeel & Associates. By itself, this toolkit is not a 'seperate progam' like similar renderers (AR3 for autocad, VizRender for ADT, etc). It is more like an API around the 'core' features of AccuRender's raytracing and radiosity rendering engines. In fact, the same toolkit is used to make the McNeel's Flamingo product (a great rendering plugin for Rhino). Subtle difference, right? So, strictly speaking, AR in Revit is not a seperate program like the other products mentioned above (though it does launch a seperate process). AR in Revit is a toolkit we have integrated. This integration has allowed for tight communication with the Revit application, an integrated user-experience and a common 'look and feel' throughout.
Not updated since Revit 3.0: As Revit has developed, we have exposed more and more of the toolkit. This has happened in every release of Revit (for example, trees in 2.0, radiosity in 3.0, rpc in 4.0, walkthoughs in 5.0, panoramas in 6.0, etc). In order to expose functionality that is in the toolkit we usually need to create object models, data structures and user interface on the Revit side that make sense. This just takes some time and effort - we try to add as much as we can each release but obviously we have to prioritize with improvements in other areas as well.
Possiblity of extension/improvement. As noted above, there are tools in AR3 and AR4 that are not currently available in Revit. Which ones are most important to people? Specific requests and some idea of priority will help organize the wishlist and get improvements implemented. We also still work pretty closely with the Accurender developers - they're great guys.

[Bold lettering mine]

hdjohnson
2004-11-02, 10:05 PM
I asked the accurender guys a question about a year ago and they told me they don't support they don't support Accurender in Revit. I was hoping against hope that they would change Accurender to Viz in 7.0, but that didn't happen.

SkiSouth
2004-11-02, 11:28 PM
I was hoping against hope that they would change Accurender to Viz in 7.0, but that didn't happen.

I used to think that. Viz cannot keep up with the quick render for study built into Revit. The link (intergrally) for Viz is just not there. We'll have to see how the new "Viz link" works though.

dpasa
2004-11-03, 06:22 AM
I have an Accurender licence for AutoCAD and I used it in all of my projects. It is quick and very easy to learn.
I asked Mc Neel about Revit and the answer was that they have nothing to do with Revit and any upgrades for Revit.
They are working on Accurender 4 which will include CoMotion, an other small and easy application for animation capabilities.

I was really sorry to hear that too... :-(

Every time I post something in this forum I write that Revit 7 had to upgrade to Accurender 4 and get the full software. (Solar studies, bigger material and plant library and now animation).

Viz is a great software, very difficult and not directly linked to Revit (at least not now).
Accurender is very fast and easy and ideal to make (ok, not perfect) but good renderings...

Everything depends on the kind of project you are working on... For a small house for example, Accurender does the work very well.
If we are talking about a football stadium, meaby you should check Viz!

sam.77724
2004-11-04, 12:18 AM
I have an Accurender licence for AutoCAD and I used it in all of my projects. It is quick and very easy to learn.
I asked Mc Neel about Revit and the answer was that they have nothing to do with Revit and any upgrades for Revit.
They are working on Accurender 4 which will include CoMotion, an other small and easy application for animation capabilities.

I was really sorry to hear that too... :-(

Every time I post something in this forum I write that Revit 7 had to upgrade to Accurender 4 and get the full software. (Solar studies, bigger material and plant library and now animation).

Viz is a great software, very difficult and not directly linked to Revit (at least not now).
Accurender is very fast and easy and ideal to make (ok, not perfect) but good renderings...

Everything depends on the kind of project you are working on... For a small house for example, Accurender does the work very well.
If we are talking about a football stadium, meaby you should check Viz!

I heartily agree that Accurender is a great tool - the full incorporation of AR4 into Revit would, from my perspective, substantially enhance Revit.

One of the really valuable enhancements to AR4 is the option to export images in an epix format (for use in Piranisi).

I suppose the ability to export a model to AutoCAD, where one could then tackle it with a full Accurender toolkit, is an option. Along the lines of what one has to do to get a Revit model to VIZ, but one of the best things about Accurender is that it runs right inside AutoCAD. Seems a pity not to have that integration with Revit!

dpasa is right on target.

jarod.tulanowski
2004-11-05, 04:26 PM
The Piranisi plug-in would be an awsome addition. No more rerendering because they want to change a few colors.