PDA

View Full Version : V7 dwg/dxf export bug

cadpro
2004-11-02, 01:32 PM
Good morning all,

I am finding that when I export a drawing sheet to dwg or dxf, that the datums, (level heads, grid heads) section heads and other detail components are being scattered all over the drawing space. With the dwg export, this happens only after I bind the xrefs.

Can anyone verify this?

Allen Turner
CAD Manager
Michael Hining Architects

Zig
2004-11-02, 02:35 PM
I have had similar problems with a project created in 6 and upgraded to 7. When I exported to DWG doors, furnishings, plumbing fixtures were scattered. Luckily I had retained a copy in version 6.1. I was able to export flawlessly from this version.

cadpro
2004-11-02, 02:38 PM
Thank you for your reply ZIG,

I should clarify also that my export problem was with an UPGRADED project. I have not yet tried to export a native 7.0 project yet.

Zig
2004-11-02, 08:11 PM
I have uploaded the Revit File to Customer Support. They are looking at it now. I should hear back within a week - Will post their findings. For me this is a serious issue. I need to export to DWG on a regular basis.

cadpro
2004-11-02, 09:19 PM
Same here Zig,

Autodesk is deligently plugging away at the problem....

Steve Cashman
2004-11-06, 01:27 PM
I'm having the same problem. We're working on a project that we upgraded to 7.0 and I just tried twice to export a site plan drawing for my civil engineer. Revit has crashed me out both time. This is a big problem for me because I have to be able to get new base drawings to my consultants. I'm going to create a service request and upload my file.

cadpro
2004-11-06, 02:08 PM
I found that in my case, the problem was related to the way I was binding my xrefs.

I found that when I would bind xrefs using the "insert" option, the blocks would scatter bits and peices of the drawing all over the drawing space.

When I bound using the "bind" option, everything turned out OK.

Thanks to Steve Burri and the support team @ AutoDesk.

Allen Turner
CAD Manager
Michael Hining Architects

Steve Cashman
2004-11-06, 03:57 PM
I found that in my case, the problem was related to the way I was binding my xrefs.

I found that when I would bind xrefs using the "insert" option, the blocks would scatter bits and peices of the drawing all over the drawing space.

When I bound using the "bind" option, everything turned out OK.
We don't get to that point. We crash before getting an output dwg file. I don't know what you mean about bound xrefs. We have both a link Revit site file and a linked drawing file of a topo survey.

Scott D Davis
2004-11-06, 05:59 PM
We have both a link Revit site file and a linked drawing file of a topo survey.
The linked topo survey: was it made up of xrefs in AuotCAD that were 'bound' using the bind option in AutoCAD? Ask your Civil engineer if this was the case. If so, ask him to rebind the xrefs with the 'insert' option.

Steve Cashman
2004-11-06, 07:16 PM
Scott,

The linked Revit site is a pure Revit topo file. The survey AutoCAD drawing is a scanned drawing file with no xrefs in it.

Unfortunately, our fix doesn't seem to be affected by the xref binding condition. Thanks for the idea.

Steve Cashman
2004-11-08, 07:11 PM
Any updates on this drawing export bug in 7.0?

eldad
2004-11-09, 11:31 PM
I have the same problem exporting to dwg from 7. Revit just crashes, this is a huge problem to us, as we need to send DWG's to our consultants.
I exported a few DWG's and the problem seems to be with a particular sheet (door schedule) that contains a schedule, a generic annotation family and a few doors elevations.
I hope a fix will be provided soon, we can't afford to not have dwg export...

P.s
Always bind your DWG's and not bind insert which will scatter your drawings and dimension. this problem is not only with 7 but with 6.1 as well.

eldad
2004-11-09, 11:38 PM
Just to confirm the above:
I took out the generic annotation family out and the export worked fine... I wonder why?

Steve Cashman
2004-11-10, 12:01 AM
We submitted a problem project file to Revit for review. They called me again today to let me know that they're working hard in this. I hope to hear from them again tomorrow.

I'll try exported from some other views and sheets to see if that makes a difference.

sfaust
2004-11-29, 06:54 PM
any news on this yet? I just ran across it when exporting elevations on an upgraded project. I've exported plans and everything seemed to be fine, just elevations are messing up...

Steve

Steve Cashman
2004-11-29, 07:44 PM
any news on this yet? I just ran across it when exporting elevations on an upgraded project. I've exported plans and everything seemed to be fine, just elevations are messing up...
We sent our file to Revit support and they found the culprit. In our case it was a problem wall. I would suggest the same.

Martin P
2004-11-30, 11:28 AM
This was an old bug I came across could be a similar solution? When you bind xrefs from exported Revit files, some blocks can have the same name and will cause odd behavior - revit creates hundreds of blocks for many weird things - some hatches for example. It not only happens when binding xrefs but also when you export more than one sheet at a time (this was fixed in 6.1 but appears it may be back....)

I find the best way round it -

export 1 sheet at a time..............
When binding xrefs you get 2 options - Bind with the bind option not the insert option (gives you horrible layer names etc, but works!!)

Another example of why we need to be the option to be able to export WITHOUT hundreds of xrefs. more often than not we all have to bind them anyway as it is just too confusing otherwise.