PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Component - Imported 3D DWG, Materials for Rendering?

saeborne
2009-06-19, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a Revit Family component, that incorporates a 3D DWG file. There's an anamorphic shape that would be difficult to replicate in Revit.

Is it possible to control the rendering material for the DWG portion? Paint bucket doesn't seem to work. Can't give it a sub category.

Attached files, for reference.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-19, 05:19 PM
It controls the materials based on the AutoCAD Layer, under the Imported Objects Object Styles. So you cant control it with a parameter, per se, but you can control and assign materials for it. I do this with the accustudio cars.

Trouble is, once the object is loaded in the project once, then you have to change it in the project Object styles, not the Families....

saeborne
2009-06-19, 06:08 PM
Yes, That's going to work for me.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Should help with the Rendering, and I can control the appearance in plan with Symbolic lines... but man, these components are going to look like sh*t in elevation or 3d views. oh well... it's what that team has asked for.

Thanks again,

BC

ron.sanpedro
2009-06-19, 06:16 PM
Yes, That's going to work for me.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Should help with the Rendering, and I can control the appearance in plan with Symbolic lines... but man, these components are going to look like sh*t in elevation or 3d views. oh well... it's what that team has asked for.

Thanks again,

BC

Set the 3D stuff to only show up in fine detail, then do masking region and detail lines version for the elevation views, that only show up in course and medium detail. 3D DWG looks like a turd in 3D no matter what you do, but at least the elevations can be made presentable. Note that front and back will be the same, which often is a problem with furniture that shows up in opposite elevations. I wish you could choose to use "shared elevation views" or not. Was a wishlist item two years ago. :(

And it begs the question, has anyone tried using Inventor LT to export curved 3D geometry in the new format? Can you make something there that fails to suck? And get it into Revit successfully?

Gordon